Early Version Atlas 7 inch Shaper Rebuild

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very nice Earl! Thought we lost you in the scraping Twilight zone LOL.

That Moglice looks like very useful stuff for certain applications. Did you happen to see Rob Renz episode where he tweaked up a (new) offshore tool & cutter (Deckel clone)?

I'm curious, you say you scraped the epoxy itself too after it was cast against granite?

Earl Wong

Thanks Peter, yes, I did scrape the moglice, since it was applied to the gib side it was recommended to me by Devitt Machinery that one side be smooth and the other scraped for oil control, the moglice scraped well, I was still able to see the ink pattern on the scrape marks.
It also ensured the moglice was flat.

Earl Wong

Shaper Restoration completed!
Finally completed the restoration of my 1937 Atlas 7 inch Shaper. This is not a 7B model, it is an early version. Had to make several components, was a fun project and have already used it to make an internal keyway for an arbor. Here are some before and after pics and during the build. It is absolutely complete with the exception of the large belt guard. I don't want to purchase a plastic replica, will hold off until I find an original aluminum one. I rebuilt it to use it and have some fun with it.

Attachments

• iphone 062.JPG
    iphone 062.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3410.JPG
    IMG_3410.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 0
  • iphone 064.JPG
    iphone 064.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3413.JPG
    IMG_3413.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3411.JPG
    IMG_3411.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 0
  • i phone 031.JPG
    i phone 031.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • I phone 006.JPG
    I phone 006.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 0
  • iphone 105.JPG
    iphone 105.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 0
  • i phone 034.JPG
    i phone 034.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 0
  • i phone 009 (3).JPG
    i phone 009 (3).JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
  • i phone 013.JPG
    i phone 013.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 0
  • i phone 022 (2).JPG
    i phone 022 (2).JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
  • i phone 041.JPG
    i phone 041.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 0

Earl Wong

Ha peter, I just wanted a grey color that was pleasing to me , tried 2 different products, chose Rustoleum Machinery Grey, 3 coats on a primer.
Of course everything was cleaned down to bare cast iron.

Earl Wong

Thanks tom. The right side of the Ram slideway had significant galling, I repaired it by milling it out and using Diamant Moglice to fill in the milled pocket. (pic 1)
The other significant wear was on the crank arm block, I milled the internal surface of the crank arm and made a new block. (pic 2 & 3)

Attachments

• i phone 038.JPG
    i phone 038.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 0
  • i phone 030.JPG
    i phone 030.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • i phone 009 (3).JPG
    i phone 009 (3).JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 0

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Very good posts on this project. Very nice final product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sorry if I asked you this before but
- does the Moglice require its own proprietary releasing agent on the opposing side so it breaks free cleanly when cured? (Sorry I'm a composites geek so just have to ask). I've seen all kinds of releasing chemistry & if you use the wrong one it can give bad results, anywhere from sticking to adversely affecting the cure itself like with oils or certain waxes
- on the part that gets the Moglice, do they recommend to pre-roughen the surface lightly? Or as long as its completely oil free etc. it will stick?

Last edited:

Earl Wong

There is a special release agent supplied by them that I sprayed onto my granite surface plate. The cast has to be completely oil free, they also supplied a cleaner that extracts oils

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Earl, can you describe your paint process in more detail? Ie: preparation steps, spray vs brush , type of brush, type of paint.....

My painting always looks like amateur night , looking for tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Job!!! this machine looks brand new.

I just bought a 7B shaper that was used has parts donor for another restoration. I need a lot of parts to build it.

Earl, did you have a basic drawing of feed ratchet cover that you build? I will love to have a way to replicate it..

regards

Rodolfo

Earl Wong

Nice Job!!! this machine looks brand new.

I just bought a 7B shaper that was used has parts donor for another restoration. I need a lot of parts to build it.

Earl, did you have a basic drawing of feed ratchet cover that you build? I will love to have a way to replicate it..

regards

Rodolfo
Sorry Rodolfo, did not make a drawing, just took the dimensions from the original part

Thanks..I just request the drawing from Clausing.

did you have some spares or leftovers from your restoration that want to sell? even non working or worn parts? mine its not complete, so with a used part I can replicate.

regards

Rodolfo

Attachments

• Atlas 7b Feed gear case S7-22D.pdf
    678.4 KB · Views: 8

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Finally completed the restoration of my 1937 Atlas 7 inch Shaper. This is not a 7B model, it is an early version.

Old thread I know, but if you hadn't figured it out, its a 7a. Most visible difference imo is the that 7B has the table support and pad.

Nice job on the scraping...only 17,000 hours? :D