Tips/Techniques E Torx socket size

Tips/Techniques

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Two days late Amazon finally delivered my set of Internal Torx sockets.
I already had on hand an E16 which works for the connecting rods on the V6 Hyundai engine. I thought the Crank cap bolts were E18 or E20 so rather than pay $8 to $10 each for singles I bought the set which includedE16, E18 and E20.

Well. The E16 fits perfectly on the connecting rod just like the one I had on hand. The E18 doesn't slip over the crank cap bolts and the E20 is a loose enough fit that if I use the 3/8" socket wrench on it the socket slips. In other words it's way too big for the bolt head.

It doesn't look like an E19 exists. So what in the heck fits a torx head that is too big for an E18 and too small for an E20.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What year is the Hyundai v6? I've had tons of the 2012-2019 3.3's and the older pre '12 3.5L engines apart, and they don't have ANY etorx fasteners. They have 12 point though.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
What year is the Hyundai v6? I've had tons of the 2012-2019 3.3's and the older pre '12 3.5L engines apart, and they don't have ANY etorx fasteners. They have 12 point though.
Not sure. It's being recycled for the aluminum. So I could just weld to the top of each bolt and break it free but that's a lot of work too. Could likely construct a socket by drilling 6 hole and a large hole in the middle. Doesn't need to be hardened since I'm taking the bolts out.

1693174714128.png

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
They are 12 point, not e-torx.

I wish you were closer. I need that crankshaft
Didn't even think to try my old Craftsman 1/2" drive metric sockets which are 12 point. Most of the other metric sockets I have are all 6. And sure enough they fit.
OK. I'll be really gentle taking out the crank. I don't know what shape it's in. I'll find out the year too.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Once I had the correct socket between flex handle and impact wrench the only thing left to remove is a cylinder head but I ran out of daylight.

Couldn't do it earlier today as I had to keep my fingers clean and not smelling like engine since I was directed to make a Pizza from scratch for supper. And adding engine smell to pizza dough would not be a good thing. Although the supervisor in the photo who barked out orders probably wouldn't have cared.

Pizza.jpg

Anyway, long pipe over flex handle while standing with one foot on engine and the first head bolt squealed and the came loose. Man are they tight.