• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dumb question probably

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was hoping the answer was going to come to me but I guess I am going to have to humbly ask....
What is the purpose of these holes on this style of vise? Cleaning out swarf is the only purpose I can see.
20200822_153337.jpg

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Those holes let the coolant out! and some swarf. I wouldn't have known till I had a machine with flood coolant.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
While I'm on a roll.....
What is the specialized use for this type of reamer/cutter?
I acquired it from deceased relative and only have the one but unsure of its purpose....i suspect it's specialized? 20200822_163317.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Those holes let the coolant out!
Good call Janger. (Might need to push the vise in a bit LOL).

Second pic looks kind of like a counterbore, but they typically have a pilot shank that engages the pilot hole. Plug cutter maybe?

Attachments

• 2020-08-22_16-49-13.jpg
    2020-08-22_16-49-13.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-8-22-2020 0003.jpg
    SNAG-8-22-2020 0003.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 0

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Even though it's only a 4" vise I loose valuable y axis travel toward column if I push it in anymore. I won't likely be running flood coolant anyhow.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Even though it's only a 4" vise I loose valuable y axis travel toward column if I push it in anymore. I won't likely be running flood coolant anyhow.

Where did this comment come from? I take it John commented on your vise overhang.

That's a 4" vise? What size is your table?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Not as bad as mine I probably have as much overhang in the front as you do and I for sure have more out back and its mounted in the furthest back table slot.

Back slot or front slot? It looks like it's mounted on the front slot.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
What is the specialized use for this type of reamer/cutter?

-- it looks like a seater reamer. This is used to create a flat seat for a nut when a stud goes through a casting. The inner diameter is the thread major diameter, and slips over a stud to centre the cutter.

The shank looks a little too small for an annular cutter. My annular cutters have a 3/4" shank.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
-- it looks like a seater reamer. This is used to create a flat seat for a nut when a stud goes through a casting. The inner diameter is the thread major diameter, and slips over a stud to centre the cutter.

The shank looks a little too small for an annular cutter. My annular cutters have a 3/4" shank.
Oh interesting that makes sense. Thanks.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member

I was just making a haha. I think everyone optimizes the jaws to the spindle. It almost looks like you have a similar channel on the front side of the lug? Can you see your table between the jaws or is it covered by the base casting?

Anyways I don't run coolant either so it wouldn't have even occurred to me one has to consider drainage. The pockets at the end of my tables have threaded holes for outlet drains, guessing fluid travels travel down the T-slots.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Don are the teeth cut at 90 degrees to the spindle? that is if it's a seater reamer (new to me!) then it should make a flat 90 degree surface for the nut. In the picture it's hard to tell but are those teeth taller at the outside edge?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Since this has turned into the weird tool thread - I've got one for you all. I inherited this odd thing from a friends machinist father after he passed. Dabbler explained it to me (or maybe John Nielsen can't recall). It's an analog rpm meter. You put the end against the spindle or whatever is turning and it counts how many revolutions. Combined with a stop watch or just a watch second hand you can then work out the RPM. I have no idea how old this is. Pretty neat.

Attachments

• IMG_5615.JPG
    IMG_5615.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Don are the teeth cut at 90 degrees to the spindle? that is if it's a seater reamer (new to me!) then it should make a flat 90 degree surface for the nut. In the picture it's hard to tell but are those teeth taller at the outside edge?
Yes I believe they are cut at 90 degrees but I will double check in the morning and correct my statement if I'm wrong. I've locked up the shop for the night and am in the house tuckered out already.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Since this has turned into the weird tool thread - I've got one for you all. I inherited this odd thing from a friends machinist father after he passed. Dabbler explained it to me. It's an analog rpm meter. You put the end against the spindle or whatever is turning and it counts how many revolutions. Combined with a stop or watch or just second hand you can then work out the RPM. I have no idea how old this is. Pretty neat.
Ha ha I've got one of those too! Mine is a Starrett brand ( I think the only Starrett tool I own) . It was my father's and I remember playing with it as a kid and couldn't quite grasp its purpose at the time. That was about 45 years ago and it was probably 20-30 years old at that time. I will take a picture of it tomorrow for fun comparison.