DTI choice?

I've purchased several items from ITM in recent years and never had any problems, I do recall tho someone else posting recently who was having issues. I think they were questioning brand authenticity and problems with returns. It does seem to me that Mitutoyo has started to cut corners in quality over recent years in order to compete with cheap eastern knock offs.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well you won't likely be disappointed with the real McCoy Mitutoyo, but I've been happy with MOST of my Chinese knockoffs considering they were a fraction of the price. I've have had one for sure that was dodgy but the others bounced off the floor just as well as a Mitutoyo. And when that happened I was glad they weren't Mitutoyo.
I spent more on my last Chinese knock off and am very happy with it and think it is a much better buy than Mitutoyo. Here is a link:

Shahe Precision Tools 0-0.8 mm 0.01 mm Metric Dial Test Indicator With Red Jewel Metric Measuring Dial Indicator

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I am partial to Mitutoyo. I have horizontal, and verticals in both half thou and tenths versions. They are dovetail only mounts though, no integral stem like Interapids. They all have there strengths but for your use of tramming you would be well served with the one you've linked. I have the white faced version of the one you linked and it's my daily driver for about 70-80% of my needs. Stuck into a small stem permanent mag base most of the time. I like the verticals for sweeping in holes, and tooling buttons. No mirror needed.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My fav mitutoyo has the dovetails but comes with both sizes of stems that fit the dovetail.

I am a big Mitutoyo / Interapid fan. But I prolly have 5 to 1 of the other brands. Never had to pitch a Mit or Int. Half the others have been replaced at some time. But for 20% of the cost I can afford to get a few replacements. I try to use the cheaper ones most of the time to dial things in. I can usually tell when they are working. I reserve the Mits and Ints for those times when it really matters.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've purchased several items from ITM in recent years and never had any problems, I do recall tho someone else posting recently who was having issues. I think they were questioning brand authenticity and problems with returns. It does seem to me that Mitutoyo has started to cut corners in quality over recent years in order to compete with cheap eastern knock offs.
Probably me with the adjustable parallel set but also @Janger around the same time on another item. My conclusion was it was a legitimate Mitutoyo product, they are a legit dealer. But it was (rare IMO) dud. Many of their items on are made in different (non Japan) countries, but the QC was always there regardless. My biggest beef was the return rigmarole with ITM. I think 4 months went by & took persistent emails & calls. There customer service is not up to par IMO.

Re the DTI itself, I am very satisfied with mine. But I have the kit with a few more stems & holder bar if that's of interest. For the most part I hold it in my short arm Noga by the dovetail.

Also of potential interest, Stefan posted an interesting low profile DTI holder with some nice features.

1699490846791.png