• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Dry Dock heavy lifts and some additional information from the Home Built Gantry Thread

Brent H

Ultra Member
As promised for yesterday but took a bit to find:

Hers are some pictures of the construction of the ship. The ship was one of the first "modular" type vessels built in the world and the site was visited several times by other countries to study how the contractor (Vito) was building the ship. All the pieces had to be to be built to close spec (within 1/8") to fit together and allow for welding. Several parts were built off site at other companies facilities and trucked in.

The super structure lift (the last photo) was over 500 tonnes and was supposedly the largest lift completed in BC at that time. The cranes were all rented as needed and it is a testament to the operators to get all this stuff aligned and set into place. In the third last photo there is this pile of tow motors pushing on the hull to move it out of the big hanger so the superstructure could be lifted into place. I guess with all those pushing the hull just barely moved out of the building.

enjoy!

ris build 1.jpg
ris build 2.jpg
ris build 3.jpg
The builder was an insane genius: he hired people and fired people on the spot depending how you worked. He paid top dollar wages and expected people to work their asses off. If you welded, you also swept up, painted and kept busy with other work between weld jobs. Lots of crazy stuff!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Amazing shots Brent, thanks for sharing!
I once watched a video on the building of cruise ships. The passenger quarters were all built off-site, trucked in as complete units and slid into place like parts drawers in a cabinet. Quite amazing feats of coordination.
In a similar but ancient vein, when I was in Peru, I saw building stones carved with dovetails keys to hold them together. The amazing part was the stones and the keys were carved in two different places and assembled on site. Mind blown!

John Conroy

Premium Member
Something that has always amazed me is how the public attention has been focused on harmful emissions caused by consumer driven vehicles while almost no effort was made to reduce the emissions from large ocean going ships. The "bunker oil" that most of them burn is basically un-refined crude oil and they consume literally tons of it per day.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Actually.......LOL

The diesel we burn for propulsion and power generation is about 0.00099% per cubic meter which is down from 30 years ago at about 0.5% and perhaps greater. "Most" countries in the world limited Sulphur in the fuel down to below 0.002% after the 90's and there are no "replacement additives" like they do on diesel trucks adding DEF fluid. China has only recently gotten into the program....hmmmmmm

For the heavy crude burners the Sulphur content can be much higher at 0.5 to 5% - that is pretty crazy, however, heavy bunker burners typically are required to have exhaust gas scrubbers and after burners that produce inert gas etc. Also what is strange about the emissions is that the generators will be burning the light diesel with very little Sulphur content. The red cloud could be from only one or two "polluters" but also....

The scale on the sat image they show is in Mole/square meter and the red is a concentration of 0.0025 mole/square meter - what does that really mean? Sulphur Dioxide becomes an irritant at 0.2 to 1 ppm and it is not easy to try and convert ppm to mole/square meter. The picture is just of a surface but not the volume - it could be a layer extremely thin. The hot springs and active volcanoes spew out very high levels of Sulphur Dioxide - way beyond 1 ppm every minute of every hour of every day

Is the chart shown just someone reducing the scale until things show up red and then putting it out there as "Oh my god the sky is falling" ?

I would say a large passenger jet is throwing way more shite out into the atmosphere per flight than most of those ships....