DRO Installs on Mill and Lathe

SeeWell

Minor jobs but these were my first orders of business before going too much further building anything. My mill came with a vertical DRO so just needed to add X and Y. I used the igaging units which are inexpensive and as it turns out incredibly easy to install. I cut them to size, drilled and tapped 3 holes for each and that is the complete process. Accuracy seems to be well within the manufacturers claims and I would highly recommend them. I picked up some aluminum to make a guard for the X axis install and may refit a whole new chip guard since the stock one seems to be lacking coverage. IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0864.JPG IMG_0865.JPG IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0864.JPG IMG_0865.JPG IMG_0867.JPG

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Nice install. How did you drill the holes? With a hand drill? And the threading?

SeeWell

Yes I just used a hand drill and then used an extension on my tap to get into the holes. I was simply trying to avoid taking the whole thing apart for just 6 holes and it worked quite well. Moving the mill table along its axis allowed for plenty of room to get in with the tools. All in all took me a couple hours install and cost about $75 for the mill DRO's

Tom O

Ultra Member
I bought a 4 axis one a couple years ago from dro pro's for my craftex mill it works good and it wasn't too bad converting the quill either.