• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

DRO Installs on Mill and Lathe

SeeWell

Minor jobs but these were my first orders of business before going too much further building anything. My mill came with a vertical DRO so just needed to add X and Y. I used the igaging units which are inexpensive and as it turns out incredibly easy to install. I cut them to size, drilled and tapped 3 holes for each and that is the complete process. Accuracy seems to be well within the manufacturers claims and I would highly recommend them. I picked up some aluminum to make a guard for the X axis install and may refit a whole new chip guard since the stock one seems to be lacking coverage. IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0864.JPG IMG_0865.JPG IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0864.JPG IMG_0865.JPG IMG_0867.JPG

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Nice install. How did you drill the holes? With a hand drill? And the threading?

SeeWell

Yes I just used a hand drill and then used an extension on my tap to get into the holes. I was simply trying to avoid taking the whole thing apart for just 6 holes and it worked quite well. Moving the mill table along its axis allowed for plenty of room to get in with the tools. All in all took me a couple hours install and cost about $75 for the mill DRO's

Tom O

Ultra Member
I bought a 4 axis one a couple years ago from dro pro's for my craftex mill it works good and it wasn't too bad converting the quill either.