• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DRO for dummies (aka .... me)

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just would like to see 0.0005" as that's what I can measure :) ... So I guess I won't worry as much about 1/5micron.

Brad
Yes I'd go for the extreme resolution only if I could flip the extreme precision off for most cases and only on to see if I could impress myself.

Bradells

(BRad)
Yes I'd go for the extreme resolution only if I could flip the extreme precision off for most cases and only on to see if I could impress myself.

But then, knowing my luck, I'd end up with something that only shows 0.01 (had it happen before)

Brad

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I own an indicator that reads in 2 micron increments; it is possible to accurately read to 1 micron with it. Probably useless for me, but I couldn't resist it ;)

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I own an indicator that reads in 2 micron increments; it is possible to accurately read to 1 micron with it. Probably useless for me, but I couldn't resist it ;)
Ok I’m curious enough to ask...

In layman’s terms- I can choose different fuel filters to use, a 7 micron, a 10 micron then a 25 micron for example

Now obviously there’s (apparently) a 3 micron difference between a 7 and a 10, how the heck do you measure something that small?? I’m guessing that’s just a tolerance built into the fabric used as a filter some engineer somewhere specced

But still, 3 micron difference!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
filter medium is measured statistically by running a solution with sorted particles and measuring the percentage of pass through to whatever standard is being referenced.

measurements of thickness is done using a Marr indicator that uses the twist of a square shaft about double the thickness of a human hair to amplify the difference in height.

surfaces can be measured quire accurately for straightness using an optical flat, up to 1/10 lambda, which in the middle of the spectrum is less than 1/100 of a micron.

... and there are dozens of other distance measurement techniques. The current quickest way to measure accurately to about 1/5 of a micron cheaply is to use laser inferometry....

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
So in an incredible coincidence Tom Lipton (oxtool) showed off his tool room inferometer in Monday Night Meatloaf # 127 , starting at 32:00 into the video: