• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Drilling hardened A2

joefrombc

Good evening. I have a large plane blade I'm turning into a flushing chisel. It is made from A2, 3/16" thick, hardened to around 60RC (guess). To mount the handle boss, I need to drill a pair of 1/4" holes through. I have solid carbide twist bits for pilot and finishing holes, but I'm pretty sure I'll ruin all my punches trying to mark it. Would a solid carbide spot drill be a good alternative?

I have a decent drill press and okay fixturing. Some run-out, but no triangular holes at least.

Thanks.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I was going to also suggest to use a 1/4" carbide end mill to create a starting place, but a carbide spot drill would work a lot better!

Chip Maker

Super User
If you had a mill, I would use a carbide center drill. Cement drills properly sharpened work well on hardened tool steel as well.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I strongly prefer spot drills to centre drills for non-lathe work. No downside to spot drills, and no upside to centre drills in the mill. Lots of 'old school' guys use centre drills for spotting, however.

trevj

Ultra Member
I strongly prefer spot drills to centre drills for non-lathe work. No downside to spot drills, and no upside to centre drills in the mill. Lots of 'old school' guys use centre drills for spotting, however.
Likewise.

A carbide spotting drill, if used carefully, is liable to outlive the user, so the cost is pretty easy to absorb. Small diameter Carbide is pretty inexpensive too, though a bit fragile in a not very rigid drill press!

I like carbide for when it is needed, the rest of the time, it's better to spend your money on what 'else' that may serve the needs!