draw bolt rod

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Glad to be of help.

For the ones that are concerned about alignment of a weldment: one can always turn a ”pin” on one part and a close fitting socket on the other. Chamfer each well (weld prep), stick them together and weld around the circumference. Turn down the excess weld and you should have a nicely aligned part.
For even greater strength, thread both parts and leave a close fitting shoulder to align with the threaded bore’s matching short alignment section. Weld it all together. Should be as strong as a solid bar with the advantage of rolled instead of cut threads.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As usual - I’m a bit late seeing this thread, but for anyone else that is thinking about welding on a bolt I’ll add this:
- I like this approach since my experience with redi rod is they have poor quality threads compared to a good quality grade 8 bolt (industrial supplier not CanTire please)
- use a bolt that is at least 3 or 4 inches. The added length can help make alignment easier. Some prep time setting up to do the weld is necessary but not difficult. There are lots of ways to do this, I like RobinHood’s.
- before welding is the perfect time to slide on one of @Susquatch centring collars.
-