• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Don't know

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't know what the horizontal adjusting screw is for on this new V block I just got?!?

Don

Attachments

• IMG_20181218_1547316.jpg
    IMG_20181218_1547316.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 0

John Conroy

Premium Member
I don't know what it's for but i have an old Starrett v block with that desugn. Model 567. The 2 on the left are Brown and Sharpe, similar design but no cross piece P5161008_zpst7kdctip.jpg P5161006_zpsx9tvereb.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Interesting. At least I have a tool that "copies " a Starrett! That's as close as I will likely get!
I was almost too embarrassed to ask and show my ignorance but I feel much better now that others don't know for sure how that screw was designed to be used!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think they are called fish tails but have yet to find a picture of them in use. The only thing I can think of is maybe the jack screw can be adjusted in/out to act as a kind of an extended contact point for stability if the V block is in lay down mode? Good question. There must be a legitimate reason, they wouldn't go through the effort just for fun.