• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dog head hook

Crosche

Super User
A small project that my son and I made Sunday evening.

Attachments

• 20190623_212923.jpg
    20190623_212923.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190623_212913.jpg
    20190623_212913.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 0

Crosche

Super User
Well that's pretty neat! How was it done?

1 1/4" × 1/4" flat bar with the mouth or muzzle cut into the end and then folded 3 times to produce the chin and face. The features are set in with 4 different punches. Gary Huston on YouTube shows how to make the dog and the punches too.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Pretty cool, I will have to check out the YouTube vid. Maybe I can tweak an interest in metal work in my young son. Thanks for sharing.

Crosche

Super User
Pretty cool, I will have to check out the YouTube vid. Maybe I can tweak an interest in metal work in my young son. Thanks for sharing.

My son did most of the punch work and I had him hold the material while I struck. Nothing like a hot piece of steel to keep one's attention focused.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My son did most of the punch work and I had him hold the material while I struck. Nothing like a hot piece of steel to keep one's attention focused.
How old is your son? Mine is only 8 years old and I'm not sure I should trust him with red hot steel yet. Unfortunately for him, he has my short attention span! LOL

Crosche

Super User
How old is your son? Mine is only 8 years old and I'm not sure I should trust him with red hot steel yet. Unfortunately for him, he has my short attention span! LOL

Caleb is 13, but he started helping at 11. I have seen younger kids smithing; just depends on their level of interest.
Perhaps start your son off with making a leaf and go from there. That was the first project my kids did on their own.