• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Does this really look like it is preserving heritage at all?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I ventured into downtown Toronto for the first time in months...

I wanted to check out this development and the extreme efforts required preserve a facade.

circa 2005 this 130 year gothic revival style church gets heritage protection, FWIW, the developer wishes to build highrise condo on 1/2 block from subway station, so city negotiates a deal to allow the site to be gutted without gaining an substantive gains for actual residents... meanwhile the developer has to spend many millions to meet the goal of the city that is to preserve a few walls and a tower.

The final site will be butt ugly.

I'd have said raze the damn church to the ground, take the many millions in savings and build 30 units on the ground and second floor to be deeded to the city as social housing assets for elderly and increase the building height by two storeys because we have a housing crisis.

Fact, the church would care more for housing people than for preserving a facade.

IMG_20230525_125903154.jpg

IMG_20230525_125907781.jpg

1685045396140.png
a5-1.jpg

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Yea heritage buildings, I was involved with one, the king Eddy in Calgary.
We built a steel building inside the facade of the old hotel, it was ridiculous, every feature that was worth saving got demoed, the only thing that remains is the old walls and some of the spikes together dim lumber floor

They could have torn that building down and rebuilt the facade with the original bricks for half the cost and and probably had a better final product

Winnipeg has a pretty well done heritage project, red river college has a wicked downtown'ish campus, half original, half new

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Well I'm glad they saved it. I lived in the GTA for way too long and I consider it pretty darn low on the aesthetically pleasing list. If I hear one more time from the CBC that Toronto is a "world class" city I will assume that whoever is making the comment has never been to Paris, London, Athens, etc. If I lived abroad and paid for a visit to Toronto to see the city and culture I would surely be disappointed.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
It does look more interesting than if it was completely demolished.

My vote is for retaining what they have done, I like how that’s been done for a few buildings in Winnipeg.

Valid suggestion about making more social housing though.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If I hear one more time from the CBC that Toronto is a "world class" city I will assume that whoever is making the comment has never been to Paris, London, Athens, etc. If I lived abroad and paid for a visit to Toronto to see the city and culture I would surely be disappointed.

Why do you need to hear "one more time"?

Anything the press ever said when I knew the real facts was usually wrong. They don't tell the news - they make their own.

To be fair, I've known a few good journalists. But they are the minority.

My dad had a great saying about dealing with the press which I have adopted. "You can't win a pissing contest with a skunk."

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
If I hear one more time from the CBC that Toronto is a "world class" city I will

What do you expect from the Ministry of Information? :eek: :D

I remember an interview awhile ago where I think one of the Rothschilds was asked about Toronto and the response was something like "well I don't know, its simply not part of our comings and goings".

I mean cripes, we only made it on the Michelin's guide radar screen a year ago!

imo, Toronto unfortunately has deteriorated badly over the last 30 years and is definitely a provincial berg on the international city scene.

Last edited: