• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Do you RC?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's AMAZING what some of you do! Puts my RC life to shame.

I started with control wire like many others here. That phase ended when I built a huge balsa wood Grumman Corsair that I put so many hours into that just couldn't bring myself to flying it lest it get smashed to smitherines. So it hung from the ceiling above the bed at my parents house until I got married and moved out. The wife was already flexing her muscles and wouldn't allow that plane above our bed in our first apartment. I think my brothers had a party and destroyed it the day I moved out.

I didn't have anything for years after that. When my first son was born, I used it as an opportunity to get into trains. That was a Christmas to remember - track laid under the tree and around the gifts, a little boy that only wanted to chew on the cars, and a proud dad unsuccessfully showing him how to use the controller!

Years later I got two RC cars - one for my middle son and one for me. We created a dirt course in the back yard and had a riot together.

Many many years later, I got a small counter-rotating chopper at TSC for 20 bucks (maybe 50). It was an evil device. It generated some kind of vapour that instilled an insane desire for bigger faster more expensive and more dangerous choppers. I have a half dozen now - mostly collective pitch from micro to 450. Flying CP was a huge challenge, but it helped to start with micro because they would crash and survive. The bigger choppers..... Not so much.

I got my first FPV drone to evaluate crop problems and drainage issues on the farm. And ya, I wrote it off. I absolutely loved it. It was as close to flying like a bird as possible. Then one day, the F$&%g thing went absolutely stark raving mad and just buggered off. I could swear I saw it shooting me the finger as it disappeared from view. It had an auto return to home feature that it somehow turned off when it decided to run away. I've been looking for it ever since. I have not developed the courage to buy another one.

GaryE

Flew RC planes in my early 20s for one summer after watching the local club since my teens. Couldn’t afford to get into it until I had my first real job. After one summer flying, I realized that there were a bunch of other things that I wanted to try that were much more suited to my young body (dirt bike riding/racing & mountain biking) that would be tougher later in life. Sold the planes and went riding for 10 years. Plan to get back into flying in retirement. There’s a small flying club 3 minutes from the retirement home, and a larger club 15 minutes away that have an air field, and another site on water for float flying. Thought about doing flying scale models but I’ll just wreck hundreds of hours of work in an instant, so I think I’ll just stick to some fun ARF flying. Bought the rc plane & helicopter simulator for the computer a couple of years ago and having fun with that for now.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Obviously you've all seen what I'm working on already...

I don't have much previous RC experience though unless you count the toys as kids...I had one of these:

tycoscorcher6x6020.jpg

I also do have a DJI Mini 2 now, so I guess that counts as RC but is very out of the box and use it sorta thing.