• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Disc grinder accessory question

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
My 1/2 impact is a quiet model strong and less noisy for my neighbour.
Do you ever use a 3/8” gun? I keep looking at the battery powered ones from Snap On or Milwaukee but can’t decide if it would get used enough
I had a 3/8” gun years ago and I’d grab it, it wouldn’t budge the bolt, so I’d grab the 1/2”. After awhile I just grabbed the 1/2” first.
My 3/4” gun doesn’t get used much but when I need it, it’s nice to have

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
A note about cutoff disks: I found a way to use them more safely.... I bough a variable speed 4" grinder, and slowed down the disk to about half speed.... that is around a quarter of the stored energy in the disk. I found it doesn't slow cutting much, and there is less chance of it doing something you don't want it to.

If it does shatter (I've only had one shatter ever), that's a lot less energy to do harm with....

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi guys. I've been finishing aluminium lately. I bought 3M roloc discs from KMS at ~$2 each they are pricey. Work well. My angle grinder - the magnum on the left, is 22Krpm and sounds like a dental drill from OUTSIDE the garage my spouse says. To spare me, her, and the neighbors I bought the Chicago Pneumatic CP9106QB quiet grinder - on the right. It's 3 times the price of the magnum - actually almost 4. it's quite a bit quieter and also slower at 18K RPM. adjustable speed. It's nice to use for sure.

Anyway I wanted to have the magnum running the medium grit wheel and the CP running the fine wheel. KMS ran out of arbors so I decided to have a go at just printing one. I found something on thingiverse and converted it to have a 1/4 shaft also plastic printed. I printed with 5 perimeters (layers on the exterior of the part) and 70% infill. That lasted 30s in the grinder till I bumped it and it sheared right off. So I tried again - this time with 17 perimeters and no infill just solid all the way. That has lasted an evening of work so it seems to be ok. It's there in the picture. If you're keen to print one I can share the design. It would be better to have a metal shaft with a threaded on bolt holding the arbor.
IMG_5244.JPG

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
John I owe you some pics of my initial messing around with Milwaukee cordless right angle grinder. I'm very impressed with both the grinder & the abrasive pads. Looks like you are already set up for pneumatic.

I also tried one of these Roloc kind of rubberized bristle discs. White = 120 grit which is what I bought. Green & yellow are coarser. Anyways it does a fantastic job of blending & feathering especially curved surfaces but flat too. I bought 3M because I couldn't find clone of correct diameter/configuration. KMS sells similar 3M on sale but I think 3" & a center hole so must require some kind of intermediate arbor vs integral Roloc.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002P50DS2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Peter I'd like to see those pictures of your milwaukee and the results of the rubberized bristle disc. Thanks.

Here is the model for the bolt type arbor. You can see it's all perimeter layers and there is no infill in a honeycomb or other pattern. I'm printing these today. I'll post some results...

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 1.08.55 PM.png

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
John I owe you some pics of my initial messing around with Milwaukee cordless right angle grinder. I'm very impressed with both the grinder & the abrasive pads. Looks like you are already set up for pneumatic.

I also tried one of these Roloc kind of rubberized bristle discs. White = 120 grit which is what I bought. Green & yellow are coarser. Anyways it does a fantastic job of blending & feathering especially curved surfaces but flat too. I bought 3M because I couldn't find clone of correct diameter/configuration. KMS sells similar 3M on sale but I think 3" & a center hole so must require some kind of intermediate arbor vs integral Roloc.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002P50DS2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$ 18.69 ???? each ????

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi guys. I've been finishing aluminium lately. I bought 3M roloc discs from KMS at ~$2 each they are pricey. Work well. My angle grinder - the magnum on the left, is 22Krpm and sounds like a dental drill from OUTSIDE the garage my spouse says. To spare me, her, and the neighbors I bought the Chicago Pneumatic CP9106QB quiet grinder - on the right. It's 3 times the price of the magnum - actually almost 4. it's quite a bit quieter and also slower at 18K RPM. adjustable speed. It's nice to use for sure.

Anyway I wanted to have the magnum running the medium grit wheel and the CP running the fine wheel. KMS ran out of arbors so I decided to have a go at just printing one. I found something on thingiverse and converted it to have a 1/4 shaft also plastic printed. I printed with 5 perimeters (layers on the exterior of the part) and 70% infill. That lasted 30s in the grinder till I bumped it and it sheared right off. So I tried again - this time with 17 perimeters and no infill just solid all the way. That has lasted an evening of work so it seems to be ok. It's there in the picture. If you're keen to print one I can share the design. It would be better to have a metal shaft with a threaded on bolt holding the arbor.
So the plastic shaft style broke last night it probably lasted for an hour of work. Here is the next rev. I printed it with female threaded hole 1/4 and cut off a 1/4 bolt. This is working ...

0A416B66-EBEE-48DC-BE7F-610875C7AE0C.jpeg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hmm.. for some reason I didn't snap pics of my rubberized bristle brush results. Must have forgot. Anyways its kind of a softer more even finish than the abrasive pads.

Here is my earlier cleanup of aluminum pan with amazon knockoff abrasive pads. It removes material pretty quick, even the finest grit pad. The swirls are kind of nice but I couldn't control them to be very even stripes so I cut out some regular 3m pad & it stuck to the hook & loop of my triangular edge sander. The finish was more even, kind of mat. The pics make the metal look a bit worse than real life. I had to use a wire brush on the corners & nooks & crannies, the pans are not exactly flat or even.

I have one more pan to do. Now that I see what the abrasive pads can do, might go for the Classic Aviator treatment LoL.

Attachments

• SNAG-5-31-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-5-31-2020 0000.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2987_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2987_edited-1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2988_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2988_edited-1.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2989_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2989_edited-1.jpg