Product Digital linear scale.

Product

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
I bought this DRO on aliexpressvwith the intention of fitting it to my lathe. Changed my mind and I'm now fitting it to my mill. I have the X axis fitted and a bracket made for the readout, tomorrow I'll mount the readout and look at fitting the Y feed axis.

It's actually for woodworking as it's magnetic. But it was cheap, so I bought it and fitted the magnetic strip inside an aluminium U section chanel. It works well. If the swarf does prove a problem - it was cheap!

I'll post some pics once I've fitted the Y axis sensor.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 4

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's actually for woodworking as it's magnetic

It might well be for wood, but many metal machines use magnetic scales too. The ones I bought for my mill are magnetic. They don't attract much steel swarf at all and what dust does end up there doesn't seem to affect them.

Some of my scales are attached to aluminium carriers and some are not. Magnetic strips can be directly attached to the machine without a carrier. Many members here have done that and I plan to do that on my lathe. It's particularly nice to be able to put magnetic tape INSIDE a cross-slide where it is safe from harms way.