• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Diamond point grinding wheel dresser.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
A friend of mine has one of these he copied from someone else. I copied from his. IMG_20190501_101207[1].jpg IMG_20190501_101230[1].jpg kinda!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Not following what you have going here. How is the point used to dress the stone? Why all the angled surfaces and adjustment screw? Where did you get the diamond point round stock in the first place?

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
You can buy diamond points at machine shop supply places. In my case it was a 3/8 inch peice of cold roll with a bit of industrial diamond attached to the point. I turned it down and inserted into a bored hole in the threaded rod, that passes through the aluminum block. You drag it across the face of the stone to dress it. The threaded adjuster allows you to advance the diamond a little bit at a time. Each pass across the stone only removes a couple of .001. The angle rides on the grinders tool rest, keeps the cut parallel to the wheel face and prevents the diamond from digging in. It does a really fine job.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Excellent. I never knew where the idea came from. My friend saw one somewhere and copied it. I saw his and came up with my own version. Mine is more like the Geiger. Great tips in VID on how to use it. That part I never new, Thanks Glen.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Interesting project idea! And I can make most of it on a ... shaper!

More videos. The first on is overkill in accuracy - the grinder post is NOT accurate to a 0.001 - second one is more "realistic" tool. Of course I may grind mine just for the looks.

The angle appears to be small... maybe 10 deg? Anyone knows?

Last edited:

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I used 10 degrees on mine. I didn't thread the diamond to attach it to the threaded rod. Used Green Locktite instead.