• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

diamond coated wire

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Bought this 0.5mm diameter diamond coated wire from Aliexpress. Comes in various lengths but I tried a few at 1m packages (its pretty cheap). Seems to work excellent on composites which is normally brutal on any HSS blades. The G10 plate is in my scroll saw under power. The carbon fiber plate is in my jeweler hand fret saw. It comes in both larger & smaller diameters. I think its use is for lapidatr work, the word 'jade' comes up often. I'm sure there are other material applications for the stuff. Not sure how long lasting it will be, time will tell.
 

Attachments

  • diamond blade 1.jpg
    diamond blade 1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 11
  • diamond blade 2.jpg
    diamond blade 2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 10
  • diamond blade 3.jpg
    diamond blade 3.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 10
Go big or go home:

Concrete saw cutting contractors use diamond wheels usually 1 to 4ft in diameter, but some are also capable of using diamond wire. Usually diamond wire is for bigger (thicker) walls or difficult access or large concrete footings. Nice thing is that the cut is smooth and any imbedded steel or r-bar is no issue. I’ve seen this method used on a bridge demolition project to cut off 6 foot diameter bridge piers. The cut was horizontal and13 feet underwater. It worked great.
 
Go big or go home:

Concrete saw cutting contractors use diamond wheels usually 1 to 4ft in diameter, but some are also capable of using diamond wire. Usually diamond wire is for bigger (thicker) walls or difficult access or large concrete footings. Nice thing is that the cut is smooth and any imbedded steel or r-bar is no issue. I’ve seen this method used on a bridge demolition project to cut off 6 foot diameter bridge piers. The cut was horizontal and13 feet underwater. It worked great.
Hmmm the folks in Greece will have you "hold their beer".
They use diamond cable miles long to cut Marble slabs off mountainsides. Slabs are 4-6 ft thick and thousands of feet high. They make these slabs into random handleable chunks by driving a wedge in at the top after the cut is done and topples the whole slab over to crash and breaks into smaller pieces.
 
Cool! I suppose you could also use it in a coping saw!
I always get fret saw & coping saw & jewelery saw mixed up. I think (maybe wrong) fret saw uses clamped plain blades & coping uses pin style? Maybe one has swivelling heads & the other not? Thre are new NASA grade saws on the market now with other cool features, not sure how they fit into these categories. Anyway yes, my hand saw uses pin-less blades ~5" length? as does my Dewalt scroll saw. The picture cutting the carbon plate is using hand fret saw, the G10 is using DeWalt.
 
KnewConcepts saw. I like the blade retention system but yeesh the price. There are Chinese knockoffs but I actually dont use mine enough to justify an upgrade.

 
Ya kind of spendy!

Looks like the MKIV is a thicker frame so if thats not a requirement, the MKIII is a bit cheaper. And remember these are CanuckBucks so 149 CAD becomes 105 USD. And its made in the USA so probably cheaper for those reasons too.

1790640672590.png
Looks like
 
Looks like the MKIV is a thicker frame so if thats not a requirement, the MKIII is a bit cheaper.
I have inherited some good quality lapidary equipment (8” thin kerf power feed saw & 8” x4 cabbing polisher - both Raytech) so a jeweller’s diamond wire saw would be a nice addition. I have no lapidary experience & not sure yet how much or how deep the lapidary bug will bit - but a small diamond wire saw would be nice for other things too.

I found this on Amazon:
at $42 + buying some 0.5mm wire for another $20 looks good. I’d like your opinion on it and your explanation why the KNEW one you suggested above is worth 3x the $.
They both have a quick cam lock but the no-name Amazon knock-off lacks a swivel. Why is a swivel needed when a diamond wire is round and cuts on its circumference (with no leading edge)?
Thanks.

PS - am I comparing a Cadillac to an entry level Hyundai. They both get the job done but there is quite a difference?
 
You can even get Titanium frames (AliExpress). I'm not entirely clear why. It would be stiffer than aluminum but also heavier. How much tension can you pull on a skinny blade? I would think anything over 50 pounds would you even notice the difference? Must be some reason beyond cool kid on the block.

1790729309630.png

Jade pens. Wow the price. Now that would be a bugger to thread
1790730007206.png
 
Jade has different types and they vary from a hardness of 6.0 to 7.0 on mohs hardness scale. At 7.0 it will scratch a knife blade but at 6.0 it might not (depending on the quality of the steel blade). Either way - it is very hard.
Jade can and is be used to make pens like the one Peter pictured above. But it is too brittle to cut threads. I believe the most common method used is to make a jade cylinder and then insert (and glue in) a metal sleeve that is threaded.

PS - Jade is either nephrite or jadeite. Nephrite is a bit softer and less likely to break when carving.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top