• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Dial Test Indicators need repair and servicing

Tool

Grant T

I have a rear plunger Starrett Dial Test Indicator with a stuck and very rough plunger. This needs to be repaired and re-calibrated.
Also as Fowler Dial Test Indicator that needs servicing as well.
Does anyone know where I can send them, Is there a place in Canada rather than sending them to the States.
Thanks
Grant Topham

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
There is a place in Ontario that services Starrett but they just send them to Starrett in the US.
That said, I sent two digital mics to Starrett to be repaired and had excellent service.

Last edited:

trlvn

Ultra Member
Sorry, I don't know of anywhere in Canada.

Keith Rucker on Youtube has recommended Mark Ratkowski several times for servicing precision measuring devices. I contacted him 2 years ago but between his charges (USD 40 to 50) and shipping both ways, I didn't go forward with servicing. His contact info is below and he responded very quickly to me.

mrtool2010@hotmail.com

M.R. TOOL REPAIR
269 LANCATSER DR
CRYSTAL LAKE IL 60014

Craig

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
search for places that do calibration, they often do repairs or if you call them up might suggest who to contact.

Generally, imo, by the time you pay round trip shipping plus 80-100/h plus tax for the service person, its not worth it given what you can pick up a used up for. Those Starrett backplunger types are so-so imo. The Swiss made fowlers are very nice, otherwise likely Chinese and not worth fixing. All that leads up to the idea .....if its not worth sending it in, have a go at it.

What are the symptoms? 95% of time in my experience its just gunked up because someone thought oiling them was a good idea.

There is a place in Ontario that services Starrett but they just send them to Starrett in the US.

Starrett Canada is in Mississauga, not sure if they do repairs, but if they are sent to the States, it might cheaper going through them than a third party marking it up

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've read good things about these folks.

Edit: looks like they don't do Starrett as they are not an authorized Starrett repair centre. Nor Fowler. Sorry...

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I just sent 2 to Mr Tool. Repair for Ames was $40US and $45US for Starrett. Shipping about $20 each way.

I think a new Starrett from KBC would be $200ish CDN. I'll report when I get them back.

Rauce

Ultra Member
There’s a place you might stumble upon searching online that’s in Ancaster, Ontario. Precision Tool Works.

I took two indicators there that were pawn shop finds that seemed good from a cursory inspection but were “sticky” when checked for repeatability with gage blocks on my surface plate. One was a starret tenths indicator worth about $400 to buy new so I figured I’d give repair a shot. I detailed the issue and they were confidant they could fix it so I dropped them off. Got them back a few weeks later and they charged me I think about $120 or so. There was absolutely no improvement… exactly the same condition. They told me they passed their calibration procedures? Wouldn’t pass where I work. Got my money back but I wouldn’t ever send anything there again.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Well isn't this timely. These appeared in my post box after my last post. Mark at M.R. Tool Repair did a fine job
When I shipped them they were completely gummed up. Cleaning, refurb, and new glass. They work like new. Here's before and after. All in including GST, shipping and US/Cdn exchange was $148.51 for two. Was it worth it?

PXL_20220226_165008690.jpg PXL_20220330_011216353.jpg PXL_20220226_165047843.jpg PXL_20220330_011310732.MP.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well they did turn out very nice. If they are accurate and have any "historical" value then they are likely worth the refresh they got.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
those look fantastic, looks like they did a great job. They seem quite a bit a cheaper than what I've heard Long Island is, $100 - 125 US? You also tipped the scales a bit spreading shipping across two indicators.

Worth it? You're the only judge of that that matters. My opinion? There's a big spread between the bid and ask, i.e. if its "without this fixed I'd be ordering new and they would cost me $350"... then for sure it was worth it. otoh, I don't think I could sell the two for $150 so its not worth $150 having them fixed (not that I'd be bothered fixing just to sell, just that its a measure of worth). There's no right/wrong in the grey between the bid and ask, its just what works for you.

Last edited:

Grant T

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After all considerations and cost, I decided to check them out myself. With the help of U tube, I was able to disassemble, clean and refurbish my indicators. Not all that difficult, those tiny screws were a challenge. thanks again.
Grant