• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool dial indicator rebuild/refurbs?

Tool
Ive got an older Peacock .001 lug back dial indicator that needs some love. The mechanism is stuck and it needs a new crystal/glass.

Anyone know of a place that can get this working for me again for a acceptable price (vs new)?

I looked on ebay for Peacock dial indicators , it's a brand I'm not familiar with , what I did find out quickly is the prices are all over the place .

What I was going to suggest though is to cut your losses and get a new one , the price of refubishing a dial indicator might just exceed the price of a new one .

I've got an Asian dial indicator that needs work , it's a parts donor now .

I've got several dial indicators , some are Asian , some are not , the cheaper ones are almost sacrificial , if they happen to get damaged .

I looked on ebay for Peacock dial indicators , it's a brand I'm not familiar with , what I did find out quickly is the prices are all over the place .

What I was going to suggest though is to cut your losses and get a new one , the price of refubishing a dial indicator might just exceed the price of a new one .

I've got an Asian dial indicator that needs work , it's a parts donor now .

I've got several dial indicators , some are Asian , some are not , the cheaper ones are almost sacrificial , if they happen to get damaged .
I have new ones. I've had this indicator in the family for about 40 years now and I'm kind of attached to it.

Thats why I'm asking. I know Keith Riucker has a guy in the Northern States he sends indicators to and I was curious if there was anyone up here that did the same.

Thats why I'm asking. I know Keith Riucker has a guy in the Northern States he sends indicators to and I was curious if there was anyone up here that did the same.

That would be good to know .

I've got a valve spring tester that would have been tossed in the dumpster had I not asked what they were going to do with it . It still works and was cosmetically in kind of grubby condition . I cleaned it up and painted it last winter when I was painting a few other projects . What I need is the bezel & the crystal .

IMG_1365.JPG

It's a nice red now .

I'm thinking I could find a suitably sized lid off a jar to make a bezel and maybe just use a glass cutter to make a crystal

Peacock is Japanese, imo decent enough quality. also imo, unless money doesn't matter because its a heirloom, you can't economically have these things serviced; servicing and shipping is greater than the value of the indicator (used). So, DIY is imo the best option

I can't tell from the photo, is the crystal missing or just in poor shape? Very often you can restore a crystal. Start at say 600 or 1200 emery and work up to 4000 then some brasso. You can get them as good as new. btw, new watch crystals are a couple of bucks (see ebay). If you need a larger one than available there (they are for watches & pocket watches) you can make one. (https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/making-a-new-dial-indicator-crystal.5380/) but you will need a crystal press (or hobble something together)

95% of indicators I've serviced just need a cleaning. 4% have a crack jewel and 1% are whatever. Clean them like a watch, and DO not oil.....thats what gums them up.

THe photo above isnt my peakcock dial indicator. The crystal on mine was completely busted and is long gone. I think I may try DIY'ing the overhaul myself, but I wanted to ask here first. MR Tool Repair seems to do these for fairly cheap which is why I asked here if there was a Canadian equivalent. I think my Peacock could also use a new pointer installed which requires a a couple of watchmaker tools.

I realized after I posted that that wasn't the Peacock. There's various repair/calibration place that come up with a google search, they might be great but most of the time the shipping there and back is more than the value of the used indicator so I've never bothered. I thought there was one in Hamilton they guys were talking about recently. Do a search, I think there are few mentioned here but I can't place them. If you go DIY and I can help, just ask.

Is there anything fundamentally different between indicator crystals and watch crystals?

I would think that finding a watch repair place might be a lot easier.

Is there anything fundamentally different between indicator crystals and watch crystals?

Nope, I've replaced many that way. As I said, they're a couple of bucks on ebay - the ones from China (which are perfectly adequate). The only challenge is that the largest size of watch crystal (for a pocket watch) isn't big enough; that's when you have to make one

Back