• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Depth gauge and other auction wins

trlvn

Ultra Member
Lately, auction prices have been zooming into the stratosphere but I managed to snag a couple of things this week at a reasonable price:

TheHaul.jpg

All in, $40 for everything pictured (and a couple of boxes of nails, etc).

The thing that really caught my eye was the depth mic:

Depth mic AmbroseShardlow.jpg

An Ambrose Shardlow (Sheffield England). With the various rods, it can measure from 0 to 8 inches. Turns freely and no obvious damage to the working bits. "P. Zuch" proudly marked his name on it. A little internet research says that Armbrose Shardlow was bought out in 1963. I can't imagine that the mic is that old. They must have continued to use the name for considerable time afterwards. Also a little confused about the box. The mic fits but does not fill the cutout shape. The rods, however, fit nicely.

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
There were a couple of HSS tool blanks and two other bits of steel that I'm not sure about.

Steel.jpg

The HSS blanks are 1/2" square (approx.) and 6 inches long. (Oddly, one is somewhat magnetized?!) The other two pieces of steel look very similar and the four pieces were together in a can (with a bunch of hex keys. All four are attracted to a magnet.

The smaller one is 0.375 by 0.312 by about 7 inches long. It appears to have milling marks down one face is slightly bowed

The bigger piece is about 0.288 by 1.020 by 6 inches long. It has marks on it like it was squeezed very hard by ribbed vise jaws.

I'm curious about the two odd-shaped pieces. Any guesses what they might be? I probably should try a spark test to see if I can narrow down what kind of steel they are.

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
The other little curiosity from the auction are these sticks:

WhatsIt.jpg

They are about 0.2 by 0.5 by 5 inches and feel sort of waxy. Or like soapstone. They were together with a variety of grinding and polishing sticks. See the lower left corner of the first picture I posted. Hope somebody can tell me what these are and where they are used.

Thanks,

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey Craig,

Those look like soap stone markers for laying out stuff on steel Welders use them all the time. Here is mine in the holder. 8A5283B1-CA6A-4006-A4CB-8C7F024694B0.jpeg

trlvn

Ultra Member
This week, I snagged a lot of corner-rounding end mills:

All.jpg

They seem to be in decent shape and the price was very gloat-worthy! They cut from 1/8 inch radius to 1/2 inch.

There was also a couple of 1 inch taps in the lot:

taps.jpg

Zooming in on the markings:

tap_markings.jpg

They are 14 threads per inch which is a pretty odd pitch. I believe the marking means it is Whitworth thread form (55º) so I guess these are going to go into my drawer of oddballs.

Craig