Depth gauge and other auction wins

trlvn

Ultra Member
Lately, auction prices have been zooming into the stratosphere but I managed to snag a couple of things this week at a reasonable price:

TheHaul.jpg

All in, $40 for everything pictured (and a couple of boxes of nails, etc).

The thing that really caught my eye was the depth mic:

Depth mic AmbroseShardlow.jpg

An Ambrose Shardlow (Sheffield England). With the various rods, it can measure from 0 to 8 inches. Turns freely and no obvious damage to the working bits. "P. Zuch" proudly marked his name on it. A little internet research says that Armbrose Shardlow was bought out in 1963. I can't imagine that the mic is that old. They must have continued to use the name for considerable time afterwards. Also a little confused about the box. The mic fits but does not fill the cutout shape. The rods, however, fit nicely.

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
There were a couple of HSS tool blanks and two other bits of steel that I'm not sure about.

Steel.jpg

The HSS blanks are 1/2" square (approx.) and 6 inches long. (Oddly, one is somewhat magnetized?!) The other two pieces of steel look very similar and the four pieces were together in a can (with a bunch of hex keys. All four are attracted to a magnet.

The smaller one is 0.375 by 0.312 by about 7 inches long. It appears to have milling marks down one face is slightly bowed

The bigger piece is about 0.288 by 1.020 by 6 inches long. It has marks on it like it was squeezed very hard by ribbed vise jaws.

I'm curious about the two odd-shaped pieces. Any guesses what they might be? I probably should try a spark test to see if I can narrow down what kind of steel they are.

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
The other little curiosity from the auction are these sticks:

WhatsIt.jpg

They are about 0.2 by 0.5 by 5 inches and feel sort of waxy. Or like soapstone. They were together with a variety of grinding and polishing sticks. See the lower left corner of the first picture I posted. Hope somebody can tell me what these are and where they are used.

Thanks,

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey Craig,

Those look like soap stone markers for laying out stuff on steel Welders use them all the time. Here is mine in the holder. 8A5283B1-CA6A-4006-A4CB-8C7F024694B0.jpeg

trlvn

Ultra Member
This week, I snagged a lot of corner-rounding end mills:

All.jpg

They seem to be in decent shape and the price was very gloat-worthy! They cut from 1/8 inch radius to 1/2 inch.

There was also a couple of 1 inch taps in the lot:

taps.jpg

Zooming in on the markings:

tap_markings.jpg

They are 14 threads per inch which is a pretty odd pitch. I believe the marking means it is Whitworth thread form (55º) so I guess these are going to go into my drawer of oddballs.

Craig