Deckel FP3 L : Input Shaft & Pulley Repair

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That sounds about right. With the hand pump, the broach moves in small stages. I‘d push it about 1/2” to 1” and then back off the ram. Re-center / align everything and push some more. Worked very well, albeit slowly.

Sounds like I need to keep my eyes open for a broach (or three) on Kijiji or Marketplace and give this a try.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@RobinHood I suspect broaching is the best way, but I doubt I'll ever have press equipment like that anytime soon. Did you not do a similar keyway operation in your the mill increment infeed shaving a thou at a time? Reason I ask is I have some light duty keyways to do one day. I was more concerned by possible slight rotational drift of the quill (within head gear back lash). I have an idea about how to stabilize that with an outrigger bar but I'm sure others have gone down that path & broaches are there for a reason.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
DBF50D0B-9C32-48D4-AA80-DF28D87339B1.jpeg

I need to do more cleaning while the pulley and sprocket are easily removed and, more importantly, I need to find out why there is no way-oil reaching the Y axis ways when the central oiler is activated. It could simply be a plugged passage way or a missing connecting line internal to the column.

There is a drawback with these old style high precision machines: they are not only complicated to build, but also to maintain. There are pressure oil points, there are pressure grease points, there are central oil points, and splash lubrication systems, drip lubrication systems, grease lubricated bearings (good for a certain number of hours of operation before they need a rebuild), etc, etc. I have the OE pressure oiler and greaser. The oil can is missing. The manual specifically shows the location of what goes where. Easy to get them mixed up. Oil in a grease point is not too bad; but grease in an oil point is another story as now the passage way is blocked.

I am hoping that that is the case here. Either way, I’m looking at pulling the whole machine apart to ascertain that the correct lubricants reach the correct parts.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Did you not do a similar keyway operation in your the mill increment infeed shaving a thou at a time?
Yes. That was on the carriage hand wheel for the CMT Ursus lathe. It was a factory custom 6+mm keyway I needed to duplicate - did not want to grind down the 1/4” broach for that. Was easier to make a single lip cutting tool and use the mill spindle. This also gives you the chance to do step-over cuts. Broaches can’t do that. Plus the material was 4330 tool steel in that project. Here I used 12L14 for the hub so I had a pretty good chance of pushing the broach through such a long keyway.