• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

CA-MB Decent Scrap Metal in Winnipeg?

Manitoba
Type
Supplies

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wondering if anyone knows if there is a scrap yard that sells small quantities of Al and steel for a reasonable price in Winterpeg?

I'll be there next week. My local guy on Vancouver Island charges a huge margin from buy to sell. I know a guy has to eat, but I feel like I am covering Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays when I go in.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
There used to be a guy over by bucks auto, I can't think of the name off the top of my head, he would sell scrap and steel lengths, he may have something

When I get home I will try to find the name of it for you

Tom O

Ultra Member
Wondering if anyone knows if there is a scrap yard that sells small quantities of Al and steel for a reasonable price in Winterpeg?

I'll be there next week. My local guy on Vancouver Island charges a huge margin from buy to sell. I know a guy has to eat, but I feel like I am covering Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays when I go in.
Have you tried going over on fryday and offering him a sandwich? D6F2BDA4-5B56-49B7-97D7-BB800C96811E.gif

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
ha yea the guy was pretty scruffy....but he sure knew how to run a torch! he might have traded for a sandwich!

just reached out to my buddy who is still in Winnipeg, the place was Springfield salvage, its gone, guy sold his yard to bucks, probably a nice little retirement fund

he says they have "Dave copp steel" now, said its kind of like a metal supermarket but cheaper, i checked the website, it says they sell recycled and surplus, might be worth a try

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
ha yea the guy was pretty scruffy....but he sure knew how to run a torch! he might have traded for a sandwich!

just reached out to my buddy who is still in Winnipeg, the place was Springfield salvage, its gone, guy sold his yard to bucks, probably a nice little retirement fund

he says they have "Dave copp steel" now, said its kind of like a metal supermarket but cheaper, i checked the website, it says they sell recycled and surplus, might be worth a try
Thanks! Spent a few nice winter days (-40) at Bucks back in the day.

I'll check out Dave's.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Thanks! Spent a few nice winter days (-40) at Bucks back in the day.

Me to! they were wicked, everything was cheap, and if you got to know them, it was even cheaper!

I don't know what it's like now days, I'm sure things have changed

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Me to! they were wicked, everything was cheap, and if you got to know them, it was even cheaper!

I don't know what it's like now days, I'm sure things have changed
Yep. With the vehicles we drove then, we were regulars.

Changed to the computer model where prices were on par with the rest of the world years ago.

Any chance you go back to the good old days of Princess Auto? Surplus on flats, in boxes, on shelves. Pick up something you could use (nobody knew what it was) go ask someone and get a price. Shopping there was always a treasure hunt.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The good old days at Princess Auto, reminds me of a chunck of steel i got in The Saskatoon store. It was 1"x1"x 5" long piece of HSS.. Asked at the check out as there was no price sticker on it, she said 5 bucks and i went home with it. :D

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Yep. With the vehicles we drove then, we were regulars.

Changed to the computer model where prices were on par with the rest of the world years ago.

Any chance you go back to the good old days of Princess Auto? Surplus on flats, in boxes, on shelves. Pick up something you could use (nobody knew what it was) go ask someone and get a price. Shopping there was always a treasure hunt.

Yes, back when it was in one of those half round buildings on panet road, or at least I remember it being in one of those, it was really a different place than it is now, everything was surplus, everything was cheap, I was quite young then however, so my memories may be a bit off, but that's what I remember...before they built a modern style building

I did work at the Panet road location some years later for a few months, when it was in the modern building I assume it still is in, and when returns were still on paper. It wasn't a good fit for me, gladly, moved on pretty soon after.