Deal or Not New lathe

John Conroy

Premium Member
That seems like a very good deal when compared to a similar looking
Machine from Precision Matthew's.

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1440gs/

You might want to give Modern Tool a call. Some of the members here have got s similar machine from them.

https://www.moderntool.com/products/modern-model-c0636a-x-1000-lathe/

The ad says it comes without CSA approval. When I bought my lathe from Modern all they did to bring it to CSA specs was add the red handled power switch to the back of the machine. The location is a PIA so I plan to relocate it anyway.

20190227_151753.jpg

I like that Stan Canada has gone to the effort of producing a pretty professional video to showcase the machine.

Last edited:

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
I agree a video helps a lot. I've watched some on the used/abused? machines they have in stock.
Precision Matthews $5999 USD = $7687.27CDN as of 6 am. + import duties (not N.A. manufactured)+ shipping,
I didn't get a quote from Modern Tool. Other than cosmetics and accessory differences all look to have the same bed/carriage assy.
some have the same spindle gear box, others the same feed box perhaps like a Chinese Menu for the Dealers.
Comes down to your choice

Swharfin'

That’s a really decent looking machine.
I liked the YUWE at stancanada for some of the pkg. features it was assembled with I have a bit of rheumatism so I prefer handles over knobs
Feed screw shield (yep all minor stuff But my$ lol) and the cost fits my budget I wouldn't buy the taper attachment I'll stick to a boring head in the tail stock idea. Why it's not pre CSA approved if it's for sale here yep your paying for it anyway one way or other but at the checkout it seems like another 1/2 turn of ur ball sac.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Re: CSA approval;
Speculation on my part but I think if its a private individual buying the machine, it'll work just fine and you'll never hear of it again.
A Corporation on the other hand, buying without CSA cert. may open themselves to liability if Worker's Compensation board ever looks at it, that will be one of the first things they look for.
I bought a high end German bandsaw years ago, fellow imported them directly from Germany, had them CSA certified here, IIRC, he was paying ~$300 per for an inspection / conversion of the plugs / grounding.

Swharfin'

Re: CSA approval;
Speculation on my part but I think if its a private individual buying the machine, it'll work just fine and you'll never hear of it again.
A Corporation on the other hand, buying without CSA cert. may open themselves to liability if Worker's Compensation board ever looks at it, that will be one of the first things they look for.
I bought a high end German bandsaw years ago, fellow imported them directly from Germany, had them CSA certified here, IIRC, he was paying ~$300 per for an inspection / conversion of the plugs / grounding.
Thanks
your absolutely right

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It is nothing special of a deal - compare to https://www.kmstools.com/king-industrial-12-x-36-metal-lathe-with-stand-12933
For 2000 extra (including tax) you get:
DRO about 250 value plus install
Bit bigger motor at 2hp
bit bigger range at 14x40 vs 12x36
coolant pump
faster spindle at 2000 rpm vs. 1500 rpm
more of a machine at almost 1/2 more weight.

You loose about $150 in tooling. And no CSA approval - through for private use its of little consequence.

Overall if you need 14x40 for increased size and rigidity it may be worth the $2000 and I think $2000 is about right price for a bit extra - but nothing to say a "deal" - just regular price. I would say it was a deal at maybe 5900. For under a $1000 you would get a lot of goodies over King.

John Conroy

Premium Member
The Yuwe and King 1440 machines are very similar.

6-125-062a.jpg ECO03777_900x.jpg

Something a little different than all the other Asian 1440's I have see is the feed engagement handle is on the left side of the carriage instead of the right.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I noticed the different feed handle positions too. Not sure I would care for that but maybe more just from a personal learned habit becoming hardwired instinct. Maybe its a left hand machine LOL.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
it is almost identical to the Modern C0636A that I bought, with the exception of shields and telescoping lead screw cover. I paid 7500 for mine (w/taper attachment) new w/DRO etc., so, compared to that about the same. My machine had a 3HP motor (swapped out by Modern) due to a series of failures on the 2HP from the same shipment. Oh, and Modern delivered it into my shop for free. (Thx Modern!)

If it has the 2" bore, I wouldn't believe the 2000rpm until I saw it and measured it. My speeds read identical to the picture posted, but the high range gears were all 'reduced' by a factor. Out of the box, my machine would achieve only 1690. The issue was a gearing choice in the headstock, which Modern said was unknown to them. I suspect the gearing was changed at the same time they upgraded from the smaller spindle bore that @Janger C0636a has. I ended up changing the motor pulley diameter to make up the RPM difference. This leaves my low gears slightly higher (slowest speed is now ~90RPM instead of the 70 posted on the plate.

The pulley/gear enclosure is different on this machine. I have two nuts that hold a fibreglass shroud on, this has the door. My 'access' is better without the shroud than with the door, but I'd probably prefer the door.

I like the lathe fine, not much to compare to which is why I probably wont ever touch one of these high end machines (I won't know what I'm missing).

Manuals are shit, you're better off to download the PM manual for the PM-1440E-LB Precision 14x40 as it is identical part for part to mine (with perhaps exception to the 'gear' that was off in the headstock. PM has a great manual.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I noticed the different feed handle positions too. Not sure I would care for that but maybe more just from a personal learned habit becoming hardwired instinct. Maybe its a left hand machine LOL.

Yes, good catch, the apron controls are reversed to mine.....

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Feed handle on the left is because the carriage hand wheel is on the right.

Most European lathes were/are like that. Reasons I have seen stated: a) most operators are right handed; b) keeps the right hand away from hot chips coming off the work as you traverse the carriage manually across the work; c) if you have a gap bed, then the rack does not need to extend into the gap since the drive gear of the carriage is on the RH side as well.

Colchester made both versions on the same lathe model: a RH “drive” one primarily for the European market (some made it to Canada) and a LH “drive“ one generally for the North American market.

I have both configuration of lathes. Not a big deal. You get used to each very quickly.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I see what you mean Tom. It looks like the Yuwe machine does not come with a 4 jaw chuck or faceplate.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I was at Modern Tool today and their comparable C0636N machine is not in stock. They have some coming in late March. $8500 plus tax.

Desab

I bought the modern 1440 a while back, my buddy bought the grizzly they were almost the same price at the time the grizzly was way heavier an rigid compared to modern. i sold it and bought an older 16x40
just my two cents