• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
One of us has misinterpreted what @Dabbler meant by "engineered truss". I had thought he meant trusses that were prebuilt and pre-approved by an engineer for a given span, application, and construction standard. They are assembled out of regular lumber at a truss yard and delivered in a stack to the job site.
Exactly. You cannot make a double scissor truss using the laminated method, but you can make a gambrel beam using OSB webs. It is a lot more expensive than my friend had in his budget.

The enitrroof for a 26X40 gambrel roof, structurem, sheathing and roofing was just over 18K$

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Today's theme was fun with concrete.
Made a small form to finish off a chunk of wall that had been broken off. No pics sorry.
Then I dug into dealing with the slab that was the landing for the stairs.
Measured 53" long by 24" wide by 10" thick. Rough calculation put its weight north of 550 lbs.
I lifted it out of the ground with my engine hoist. Man that thing has been useful!
Oh and my Bike Barn arrived. Happy days!
68133943071__B131C8C0-3D86-4F86-B97E-FDE84CFE1813 2.jpeg
IMG_8600.jpeg
We thought we might sink it into the ground in front of the person door to the shop (just visible in the upper left corner in the above pic) but neither of us had the desire or energy to dig a hole big enough for it. Nor could we figure out a way to move it the four feet to its potential new resting place.
So off to the rental place for a jack hammer. I discovered the slab contained lengths of 3/4" rebar. At random intervals.
IMG_8601.jpeg
The Hilti prevailed and I ended up with this.
68134602466__7DF7AA7A-232C-486C-B0C4-9200EF537806 2.jpeg The big upside to this is that we have gained a huge amount of room between the house and the shop which was previously a bit cramped.

Last edited:
I had a friend that could have moon launched it for you and made it disappear at about 3-400ft. Never seen him do it personally but have heard from other friends it impressive and scares the c@&p out of the neighbors.

@Susquatch he's done a few silo's that way, into the sky like roman candles.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
We just received the quote to stucco the area under the old stairs.
Good thing I was sitting down. $4980 plus GST and PST.
Seems outrageously expensive but I have no prior experience with this type of work. Knowing that it's difficult to compare costs does anyone have any relevant experience.
@PaulL @francist @jcdammeyer have you had any stucco work done?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I had work done on our little house back in 1992 but I don't remember how much it was. And since that was 30 years ago and in Edmonton I have no idea if your quote is high or low. Sorry.
All I can suggest is get a few more quotes. Construction trades are booming at the moment with a shortage of workers which may have a bearing on the price.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Assuming you've done all the prep work as discussed. Like bringing out that lower area even with the existing plywood. Assume 2 guys billed at $100/hr (car dealerships now want over $150 for their mechanics) and an 8 hour day that's only $1600. Several days for the initial layer and a return to do the second. Plus cleanup time. Call it 16 hours for two is $3200. Materials $1000? Expecting 18% profit?

When I had the perimeter drains done, it was roughly $7000 per side. Which included heavy equipment and fill etc. Three to four guys. I'd done the front so the price was about $21,000.

But I no longer have a creek running through the shop.

Leaks.jpg

Maybe ask him how many guys and how long it will take? It could be since you were asking him to do it quickly that there's a rush charge?

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
We just received the quote to stucco the area under the old stairs.
Good thing I was sitting down. $4980 plus GST and PST.
Seems outrageously expensive but I have no prior experience with this type of work. Knowing that it's difficult to compare costs does anyone have any relevant experience.
@PaulL @francist @jcdammeyer have you had any stucco work done?
I've had stucco done recently, once on house envelope, then over the new garage. Let me dig through my invoices when I get into town tomorrow.
Your quote seems a bit high, but I also don't expect them to mobilize 3 times for less than $3k. So you're not way out of (Victoria) pricing.
Who did you call? We had DeCicco Bros. Do the work. If they have other work nearby that's in your favour for a small job. Also not being in a hurry helps - price goes up as you add end dates.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've had stucco done recently, once on house envelope, then over the new garage. Let me dig through my invoices when I get into town tomorrow.
Your quote seems a bit high, but I also don't expect them to mobilize 3 times for less than $3k. So you're not way out of (Victoria) pricing.
Who did you call? We had DeCicco Bros. Do the work. If they have other work nearby that's in your favour for a small job. Also not being in a hurry helps - price goes up as you add end dates.
DeCicco is who quoted the current price. I was sort of expecting $3K but $5K plus tax seems a bit steep.
I have another fellow coming to estimate on Monday.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Assuming you've done all the prep work as discussed. Like bringing out that lower area even with the existing plywood. Assume 2 guys billed at $100/hr (car dealerships now want over $150 for their mechanics) and an 8 hour day that's only $1600. Several days for the initial layer and a return to do the second. Plus cleanup time. Call it 16 hours for two is $3200. Materials $1000? Expecting 18% profit?

When I had the perimeter drains done, it was roughly $7000 per side. Which included heavy equipment and fill etc. Three to four guys. I'd done the front so the price was about $21,000.

But I no longer have a creek running through the shop.

View attachment 25412

Maybe ask him how many guys and how long it will take? It could be since you were asking him to do it quickly that there's a rush charge?
Thanks John, the estimator mentioned three days so at 1600/day that’s $4800 right there. I can’t see three days though. All the prep we talked about is done. So 1 day to paper, wire and parge and another to apply the finish coat seems reasonable to me. I’ll be very curious to see what estimate I get on Monday.

Right now you will get prices all over the place. I've had 2 gutter replacement quotes, one $1,600.00 the other $3,600.00.

Shop around, you'll be surprised at the differences.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Thanks John, the estimator mentioned three days so at 1600/day that’s $4800 right there. I can’t see three days though. All the prep we talked about is done. So 1 day to paper, wire and parge and another to apply the finish coat seems reasonable to me. I’ll be very curious to see what estimate I get on Monday.
One day to prep, then an inspection, then a day for the cement coat, then a day for the brown coat, then a day for the color coat is what I had.
The wire crew is different from the cement crew is different from the finish crew, so you wind up with 4 mobilizations anyhow.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
One day to prep, then an inspection, then a day for the cement coat, then a day for the brown coat, then a day for the color coat is what I had.
The wire crew is different from the cement crew is different from the finish crew, so you wind up with 4 mobilizations anyhow.
What's a brown coat? Isn't the second coat usually also a colour coat?

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I'm not the stucco expert, but the two recent builds had a heavy cement coat, then a thinner leveling and "scratch" coat, then a polymer-based color coat.