• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
It holds the blade against the arbour flange. The dished washer that came with the saw lost all of its dish so wasn't holding the blade correctly.
Ah. UniSaw=TableSaw. I should know that since I have one. For some reason I was thinking metal cutting band saw and from the pictures couldn't figure out where that washer went. Duhhhh!

It holds the blade against the arbour flange. The dished washer that came with the saw lost all of its dish so wasn't holding the blade correctly.
Since you made a HD version of it drill&tap 6 or 8 set screws around the outside, this makes a true blade truing disk. By tweaking with the set screws you can make a blade run perfectly true.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Be careful with those set screws.
They can create concentrated stress points in the blade and lead to cracks.
I would hate to hear about you guys on the news.

Be careful with those set screws.
They can create concentrated stress points in the blade and lead to cracks.
I would hate to hear about you guys on the news.
Yes they should definitely be blunted. The idea is to use absolute minimum pressure to tweak that final perfection.

A version of this used to be sold in Lee Valley.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes they should definitely be blunted. The idea is to use absolute minimum pressure to tweak that final perfection.

A version of this used to be sold in Lee Valley.
Ironically I have one of those. Well I have the side with the set screws. Should there be a mate to it? It's maybe 4-4.5" in diameter.

Ironically I have one of those. Well I have the side with the set screws. Should there be a mate to it? It's maybe 4-4.5" in diameter.
If I recall the instructions correctly, no just a standard washer as a little pressure and offset is required to allow the blade to tweak. Again just a little pressure after the blade is tightened.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looking good. What material did you use? Just mild steel?

Since the part has 'features' on both sides, what was your order of operations? How did you hold it?

Are you going to blacken the washer? Looks like a great candidate for Jax Blackening solution. (My new shop favourite!)

Craig
Hey thanks Craig!
It's made of 44W . I was looking for 4140HT but no one had it in 2.5" diameter.

Order of operations using 3-jaw and 4-jaw
Cut a .50" length
Turn to 2.5" diameter
Make the recess and bore the hole
Take it out flip it, turn the section that was in the chuck to 2.5" diameter
Face it down to .45"
Make the chamfer
I have to make another for a fellow and I think I'll make a mandrel as it was a pain to swap chucks and indicate in after flipping it.

I haven't blackened it but I probably should.
@trlvn Where did you get you Jax? The only CDN source wants $30 to ship a pint of it.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well not quite shop shenanigans but near to the shop so that counts.
We had grand plans of washing and painting our front steps today.
Problem was that one of the steps was loose. So I peeled it up to investigate.
Next thing I knew this happened.

The stringer on the right was completely rotten as was the wall is was attached to.
The stub wall on the right is completely rotten.
The stairs came up from the right to a landing then carried on up to another landing at the door.

I'm tearing the whole thing off including the false wall on the left, the wall on the right and will build a set of freestanding stairs to a landing at the top.
And I'll build a small storage shed under the top landing :)
This was about 3 pm. Subsequent to this shot I peeled off the rim joist on the left and the landing at the top.

IMG_8562.jpg

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Ok dear. Flashback to our first house, in Vancouver, circa 1999. Both the front and back stairs did just that. Stucco was the only thing holding it all together. We rebuilt the front right then so we could get furniture in; the rear got cordoned off and waited are for the kitchen work.
I feel your pain!

Well not quite shop shenanigans but near to the shop so that counts.
We had grand plans of washing and painting our front steps today.
Problem was that one of the steps was loose. So I peeled it up to investigate.
Next thing I knew this happened.

The stringer on the right was completely rotten as was the wall is was attached to.
The stub wall on the right is completely rotten.
The stairs came up from the right to a landing then carried on up to another landing at the door.

I'm tearing the whole thing off including the false wall on the left, the wall on the right and will build a set of freestanding stairs to a landing at the top.
And I'll build a small storage shed under the top landing :)
This was about 3 pm. Subsequent to this shot I peeled off the rim joist on the left and the landing at the top.

View attachment 25286
There are days when you look for trouble you will find it in spades.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well the show continued today. Six solid hours of labour to get almost to the point of having it all demoed.

The first photo is stub wall that held the stairs down to ground level. It was only held together but the stucco.
Hilariously there was a sill gasket under all that mess. The problem was that the top had zero waterproofing; no building paper nothing so water just filled up the wall cavity. There was a 2x6 that was actually dripping water when I pulled it out.
IMG_8568.jpeg

I peeled the stucco off the inside of the wall with a pitchfork. The diagonal is where the old stair stringer was.
Bottom of the wall was completely rotten to about 4 ft from the house.
IMG_8569.jpeg
IMG_8570.jpeg IMG_8572.jpeg

I used a diamond wheel on my angle grinder to score a line in the stucco where the wall joined the house. Worked sorta alright. I wasn't able to get deep enough into the corner and some of the house stucco cracked. No big deal as we will get the whole mess stuccoed.
IMG_8574.jpeg IMG_8575.jpeg

This is the view looking down from the front door. With any luck I can get a bin here tomorrow.
IMG_8576.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry to hear, but this was a blessing in disguise in find a bad problem and given a chance to rectify it before it became a terrible nightmare.

In this moment think glass half full and hopefully no more surprises.
Most definitely!
I think about the number of deliveries I've received and shudder at though of some unsuspecting delivery person falling through the steps.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Now hopefully thinking, how can you turn this into the all desired shop expansion....all of course of corrective reconstruction and improvement.
I'm going to build a small shed underneath close to the house. I'll be able to store all wood that is currently occupying a space about two ft by 20ft where my motorcycle is stored.
And my wife asked me tonight if there was any reason I couldn't build a small shed on top of the garage. Hmmm

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm going to build a small shed underneath close to the house. I'll be able to store all wood that is currently occupying a space about two ft by 20ft where my motorcycle is stored.
And my wife asked me tonight if there was any reason I couldn't build a small shed on top of the garage. Hmmm

Your post doesn't need a reply, but I felt my laughing out loud emoticon needed a bit more lest it be interpreted as laughing at a stupid idea - which it is not.

Out of the mouth's of babes they say. Cool idea! So what would you put up there?