• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

The drawers in the cabinet are enormous; 16" long x 10" wide x 7/8" deep. Perfect for drills and taps!
Need to fire up the printer to make some trays.
if you designed the tray so that everything nested into pocketed slots when opened rather than spilling onto the floor it would be amazing!
 
Put the D-bit grinder on the file cabinet tonight.
It will swap places with the 2x48 grinder for better cable management.
View attachment 80381
might i recommend adding a foot switch to the d-bit grinder? And a light.
I 3d printed a dust hood ala Deckel SO later models, but it would likely be slightly different on yours. There should be details in the 2GB package i sent you, look at the SO manuals. The same foot switch then also powers up the shop vac.
My reason for this setup is that I find that using this grinder is a lot of setup, grind a feature, stop wheel, check result, start wheel, etc. A foot switch makes that trivial and less noisy oeverall.
 
might i recommend adding a foot switch to the d-bit grinder? And a light.
I 3d printed a dust hood ala Deckel SO later models, but it would likely be slightly different on yours. There should be details in the 2GB package i sent you, look at the SO manuals. The same foot switch then also powers up the shop vac.
My reason for this setup is that I find that using this grinder is a lot of setup, grind a feature, stop wheel, check result, start wheel, etc. A foot switch makes that trivial and less noisy oeverall.
That's a great tip, thanks @gerritv
 
Its the 'glue' that has the particular odor. I hate cutting the stuff, not so much for the smell but its just brutal on tooling edges unless carbide, but its pretty mean on that too. Its the glass (or whatever reinforcment fibers) that do a number on edges. One thing I'll mention, if your cutting speed is excessive & you are seeing anything like charring or smoke (along with smell), likley that you are cutting too hot. When I scroll saw the stuff, the HSS blade will turn blue without slowing down. Apparently something like alcohol spritz can help.
 
Its the 'glue' that has the particular odor. I hate cutting the stuff, not so much for the smell but its just brutal on tooling edges unless carbide, but its pretty mean on that too. Its the glass (or whatever reinforcment fibers) that do a number on edges. One thing I'll mention, if your cutting speed is excessive & you are seeing anything like charring or smoke (along with smell), likley that you are cutting too hot. When I scroll saw the stuff, the HSS blade will turn blue without slowing down. Apparently something like alcohol spritz can help.
Good advice thank you @PeterT!
 
Sorry about that , my misunderstanding , it looked like the frame was attached permanently to the camper side...might be only an inch but an inch can make more difference to any DOT officer than any woman of the world.

Maybe so, but showing them a piece of women's underwear works wonders on them too.

It's not about bribing them (like that pervert @140mower thinks), it's about putting the fear of God into them over how they are gunna put that in writing in their report. Nobody wants to explain that report at review time, let alone take the time to write it, or have the entire office laughing at them if it gets posted. Seems to work wonders on every person of authority I've ever dealt with. Unfortunately I have not yet figured out how to exploit that trick on a lady officer.
 
.........um, I am not the one with high heel holes in ceiling of his tractor cab. 🙄

Hey, that comment wasn't about whether or not I'm a pervert. That ship sailed long ago. Did for you too. It was about whether or not I was bribing the customs guys with my wife's underwear! Ya gotta keep your perversions organized ya know.......
 
Made the tool rest today. I tried my darndest to keep it perpendicular to the support arm but it's out by about a 1/16" 🙁
The non-woven 3M belts do a great job of polishing!
View attachment 79724View attachment 79725
I wanted a look at that yesterday when I dropped off some resistors. Didn't see it. I think the VW in the garage was sitting on it hiding it from me.
 
Cleaning up the shop tonight and I unearthed something I thought was lost forever!


I have two.

The big 220V 14" craftsman with the extension table like yours is basically a storage surface for plumbing stuff. I really should sell it cuz I haven't used it in 15 years for anything but storage.

My goto is a 10" rolling semi-portable 110V Ridgid that just works! It also folds up and can be rolled around like a big suitcase for jobsite applications. But I don't remember ever moving it. What I like about it is it's accuracy, ease of use, and MUCH CHEAPER BLADES!
 
Back
Top