damascus steel

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
After changing the venturi burner on my propane forge to a forced air burner for higher efficiency and heat, I decided to attempt forging a knife out of damascus steel. I used 1084 high carbon steel, and 15n20 alloy steel for the contrast after etching. There is some contrast but I didn't seem to get very much even after laying the blade in the ferric chloride for several hours and some instant coffee for a patina.

Attachments

• 20210525_231023.jpg
    20210525_231023.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 28

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I had a custom knife maker (from Crossfield, Clem was first name but can't remember last name) make a couple of knives for me. Both of mine were made from planer knives ( at my request) but he had a couple of knives on display that were forged from ordinary combine roller chain and the Damascus was brilliant, best I've ever seen. I never noticed a power hammer in his shop so think he hand hammered all the knives he made.

The one knife he made for me gets used at least for one complete butcher job a year and will hold an edge throughout the process, the other has never been "wet" and will remain a family heirloom for the grand son.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks, the handle was carved out of cocobolo wood. The shape is primarily designed for widdling which changes how the knife is held. I'm planning on forging a good shef knife next just out of 1084 or 01 tool steel.