• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

D1-6 5C Collet Chuck $100 Kelowna, BC

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Just a heads up - This might be the same fellow in Kelowna that had same / similar advertised about 1 year ago (nothing wrong with the guy or the chuck - that I know of). In the original ad he said never used, he thought his lathe was D1-6 (because it had 6 pins) but it didn't fit - turns out both D1-5 and 6 have 6 pins and the real difference is diameter of the mounting taper and maybe some lesser important features.
Lesson of the story: Don't assume your machine is a D1-6 just because it has 6 pins (like I used to), look up the dim's and confirm.

Just a heads up - This might be the same fellow in Kelowna that had same / similar advertised about 1 year ago (nothing wrong with the guy or the chuck - that I know of). In the original ad he said never used, he thought his lathe was D1-6 (because it had 6 pins) but it didn't fit - turns out both D1-5 and 6 have 6 pins and the real difference is diameter of the mounting taper and maybe some lesser important features.
Lesson of the story: Don't assume your machine is a D1-6 just because it has 6 pins (like I used to), look up the dim's and confirm.
Yeap, learned that lesson the hardway.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Something is seriously wrong with you guys if one of you does not snag this.

I have a Bison just like it and I LOVE IT! It's my favorite chuck in my stable - my goto for almost everything.

Looks like you can change the backplate on it.

CWelkie

FYI - I've confirmed with the seller that this chuck indeed has a D1-6 mount.
He had to order a D1-5 mount chuck that he is currently using.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Thank you for sharing this ... I've no idea how you found it. When I search FB marketplace I can't find it at all - using your link works fine (I'm in Vernon and my search radius touches the border).
FB has the absolute worst search algorithm I’ve ever seen. Type in <lathe> as the search word and you get pieces of wood and firefighting harnesses.

I scroll through FB aimlessly for amusement. It’s great place to confirm the average IQ is indeed 100.

Here‘s an example. $1,900 BRAND NEW Metal… What?

Is it that difficult to write 25 characters to define what’s for sale, and how hard is it to check the photo being posted? And don’t get me started about the pointless and annoying “I’ll remove the ad when it’s gone” threat.

Attachments

• IMG_6872.png
    IMG_6872.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6873.jpeg
    IMG_6873.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Well, nobody replied, and I PM'd @CWelkie because eh seemed most interested. He declined so I had John scoop it up. Perhaps I now need to sell one of my collet chucks o_O :mad:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
What do you have? :D

I bought 2 large collet chucks from a guy in Burnaby in June, along with a set of collets for each. The large one has a capacity of 2 1/4" -(possibly a 2 1/2" collet would fit) with 14 collets and the small one a 1 1/2" collet max with around 20 collets

chucks.jpg

I am more familiar with 5C system and have a nice set of collets for that, so The price was very attractive. All of these are D1-6, and will fit my LeBlond.

I'm considering selling one of them - I might have one too many!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am more familiar with 5C system and have a nice set of collets for that, so The price was very attractive. All of these are D1-6, and will fit my LeBlond.

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my 5C Collet Chuck???

A tip you may already know. Cut strips out of aluminium pop cans to wrap around parts in the collets to improve fit. If you shove the roll into the collet first, it's easy to insert the part then tighten and go. I use a 12V driver to open and close the collets.

jgimp69

55566D50-0FC2-4C26-8A0E-BAA5C8AE7D4D.jpeg

justin1

Super User
Thank you for sharing this ... I've no idea how you found it. When I search FB marketplace I can't find it at all - using your link works fine (I'm in Vernon and my search radius touches the border).
Ye I've had the same issues with Facebook market place I don't know how I didn't see that on Facebook as I'm on it pretty much everyday looking for stuff. I have my radius set 150km of lumby and have this type of stuff rarely shows up first 5 searches. Missed out on nice dividing head out of Armstrong. Showed up when I was scrolling threw Vancouver area and not lumby area lol. So time I saw it she gone.