• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

D1-4 cams

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Ever since I got my SM 1120, when locking the chuck in place at least one of the cam marks would go past the 6 o’clock mark. It turned out that the cams were worn and although they did tighten up it was always a concern.
MSCDirect carries them for $36 each while Grizzly has them for under $10. Shipping to Canada increases that significantly. In addition to the cost, I wasn’t sure whether SM made them to a standard so I never ordered them. While wintering in Arizona I ordered them fro Grizzly for $36 including shipping. I just finished installing them and they fit perfectly. Happy days!! Here’s a pic of the old ones.
image.jpg

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
They're made to an ISO standard. That's a far better price than what MSC wants for my D1-3 cams.

Grizzly stopped selling and supporting d1-3 spindle equipped lathes so no longer sell my size apparently

Johnwa

Ultra Member
@Johnwa so what is your conclusion of where the the dimensional difference occurred?
I’ve marked in red where the cams are worn. One of them was worse than the other two. I could never adjust the studs to get it to lock in between 3&6 o’clock. At best it would lock in at about 7. With an unworn cam this would be past center. The new cams all lock at about 4 o’clock. CE2B8B1F-8607-4694-B027-02DF471DBA95.jpeg

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Where do you winter @Johnwa ? Do you go every year? for 6 months
We’ve been renting Park Models in RV parks in the Mesa Arizona area. Not counting covid we’ve gone down the last 3 years for 3 months at a time. Once in the fall and the last 2 times for Jan-Mar. Weather wasn’t great this year as we were on the southern fringes of the storms that were hitting California, but at least there was no snow!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
They're made to an ISO standard. That's a far better price than what MSC wants for my D1-3 cams.

Grizzly stopped selling and supporting d1-3 spindle equipped lathes so no longer sell my size apparently

I am making all my studs for D1-3. I assume cams would be very similar just more hardened metal than studs.

I wonder why no one in China seems to make new studs - it is a common item.

Rauce

Ultra Member
I am making all my studs for D1-3. I assume cams would be very similar just more hardened metal than studs.

I wonder why no one in China seems to make new studs - it is a common item.
I got reasonably priced D1-4 import studs from RDG tools in the UK but maybe they aren’t stocking them anymore, I only see D1-8 on the site now, they used to have all sizes.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I’ve made my own studs as well. The cams would be much more difficult. Not only does the cam portion need to be offset, but the killer would be the square socket for the key.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I’ve made my own studs as well. The cams would be much more difficult. Not only does the cam portion need to be offset, but the killer would be the square socket for the key.

For the square part you can either make (if you can purchase professional one you are rich and can get new cams at some crazy price) a rotary broach or you can drill a hole, drill 4 pilot holes & EM a square. Somewhat lots of work compared to a broach but we all have drills and EMs.

Yes certainly cams are harder than studs.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
We’ve been renting Park Models in RV parks in the Mesa Arizona area. Not counting covid we’ve gone down the last 3 years for 3 months at a time. Once in the fall and the last 2 times for Jan-Mar. Weather wasn’t great this year as we were on the southern fringes of the storms that were hitting California, but at least there was no snow!
Kevin D has a relative who also rents park models - I was interested in your approach. I could skip most of winter. I think that sounds great.