• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Cycloidal drive design & testing

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
A cycloidal drive is a type of high reduction gearing used where compactness, high ratio and zero backlash are needed. These are used extensively in robotics systems such as manipulator arms, indexing devices and precision tables.

I have been working on a design to fit small stepper motors - NEMA 17 and 23, for some time now. The mechanics are deceptively simple, but producing a drive which operates smoothly under all conditions and design loadings is proving to be a real challenge.

3D printed designs are all over the internet. I doubt that any of them will work for more than a few minutes in reality. After many attempts, I have concluded that fused filament techniques and materials have insufficient strength, minimal wear resistance and high deformations. My attempts with Titan-X, ABS/Carbon fibre and nylon all taught some lessons, through various failure mechanisms.

Even though the drives are powered by small stepper motors, the internal torque and contact pressures are extreme and easily deform most plastics. Not all parts need to be hard and solid. The casing is not subject to internal loading and can be designed to use engineering plastics such as Delrin. The cycloidal gear could also be made from Delrin if it is thick enough to resist the in-plane bending forces, but 6061 or even steel would be better. The drive pins however must be rigid and hard, capable of handling the extreme pressures at the contact with the cycloidal disk. And of course the entire system must be rigid and reliable when mounted in service.

This design is for a NEMA 17 stepper.
Cycloidal drive exploded annotated.jpg

Some images of the latest iteration, made from Delrin. The drive pins were made from Teflon to reduce friction. Approximatey 75mmx75mm x 20mm thick.

Cycloidal drive 48.jpg

After an hour of running, the drive pins have been crushed and the system has failed.

Drive plate.jpg

Stay tuned....

Don

Attachments

• Cycloidal drive exploded annotated.jpg
    Cycloidal drive exploded annotated.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Thats really neat! I have been researching cycloidal drives a bit recently. I see some designs have the parts you've labeled as contact pins given the freedom to roll, and using a second cycloidal disc 180 degrees out of phase of the first. What are your thoughts on those?

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Thats really neat! I have been researching cycloidal drives a bit recently. I see some designs have the parts you've labeled as contact pins given the freedom to roll, and using a second cycloidal disc 180 degrees out of phase of the first. What are your thoughts on those?
Yep, the contact pins are steel 3x10mm that sit in a 3mm hole in the casing. They are not fixed in place and could rotate. There is some slop in the hole (drilled 3.00 and pins 3.00) but the slop seems to come from the elasticity of the material when under pressure, not hole tolerance.

I'm working on a second design which allows for a 2-phase arrangement, but until the fundamental design is reliable, I'll avoid 2-phase. The real benefit to the 2-phase design is to smooth out the minor velocity variations due to the 5 drive pins. If there were say 11 pins, the velocity variation is much smaller. But, more pins = more diameter and that's another compromise to consider.

Further, this particular design which started from a posting by White Owl, is based on a 48:1 ratio. Geometry defines the eccentricity which in this case is just 0.5mm. The next iteration will be 25:1 ratio with larger contact pins, a 1mm eccentricity and 7 output pins which may produce a smoother, stronger drive.

Don

Xyphota

Ultra Member
From my naive perspective, would a second cycloidal disc not be more reliable? The design looks to be a bit more complicated (perhaps it is way more complicated LOL), but a second disc seems to me like it would roughly cut the contact pressure in half.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
From my naive perspective, would a second cycloidal disc not be more reliable? The design looks to be a bit more complicated (perhaps it is way more complicated LOL), but a second disc seems to me like it would roughly cut the contact pressure in half.
Thats a valid point. The pressures are significant.