• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Machine CX709 - QCTP?

Machine
Trying to figure out which unit to buy for the quick change toolpost on the Busy Bee CX709. No response from their customer service and calling the store seems to be a waste of my time.

Anyone know if the Accusize BXA model will fit this model of lathe? Alternately, some other well known model either from Busy Bee themselves (their website does not describe which of their lathes are compatible, nor does the lathe indicate which to choose).

I can see one reference online to the CX709 (13x24) that looks like the BXA model, but I can't quite make it out to be certain.

Thank for anyone who can help me - especially those who have been through this with a CX709 themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thank for anyone who can help me especially those.....

If you measure the difference between the top of your compound where the tool post mounts and the center of rotation for your spindle, I could tell you which one to get.

For reference though, I don't have the CX709 and my lathe is 13". The BXA size is perfect.

No matter what size you get, you probably have to either make a new T-Bolt or modify the one that comes with the new toolpost. It's an easy peasy job.

Last edited:
If you measure the difference between the top of your compound where the tool post mounts and the center of rotation for your spindle, I could tell you which one to get.

For reference though, I don't have the CX709 and my lathe is 13". The BXA size is perfect.

No matter what size you get, you probably have to either make a new T-Bolt or modify the one that comes with the new toolpost. It's an easy peasy job.
Thanks for the comments. I feel 95% sure that its right but its for an institutional purchase and having to rework it just makes it look like we got the wrong one. Unfortunately Busy Bee seems to not know what tool post will fit, despite selling several variations.

Last edited by a moderator:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
i would agree, the bxa should be the correct size

you will have to machine the t-nut to fit your compound like @Susquatch mentioned

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for the comments. I feel 95% sure that its right but its for an institutional purchase and having to rework it just makes it look like we got the wrong one. Unfortunately Busy Bee seems to not know what tool post will fit, despite selling several variations.

Get us that dimension and we will all know for certain which one is best.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
When I mounted my AXA, I made a completely new nut. It didn't take long and fit my tool post perfectly. The plate for the nut that came with it was a little small. I was lucky and found a 14mm fine tap at my local bolt supply for not too much money.

CharleyBrown

Charles
I saved this info from Amazon while shopping for a QCTP for my CX706. The QCTP shipped by Busy Bee has Accusize branding. IMG_8036.png IMG_8036.png

Attachments

• IMG_8037.png
    IMG_8037.png
    573.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8041.png
    IMG_8041.png
    389.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8040.png
    IMG_8040.png
    328.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8039.png
    IMG_8039.png
    269.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8038.png
    IMG_8038.png
    434 KB · Views: 3

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I saved this info from Amazon while shopping for a QCTP for my CX706. The QCTP shipped by Busy Bee has Accusize branding.

The trouble is that none of that shows YOUR measurements. Or if they do, I can't see them. The only measurement we need is the very last one in your attachments - which is the distance between the top of your compound and the centerline of your spindle axis of rotation which is usually also the centerline of your tailstock.

So, installed the BXA toolpost. Fits nicely. Had to fabricate a thin 5/8-18 nut to accept the post. OE toolpost had a smaller OD shank, then stepped out to 5/8 and a larger flanged round head to retain in the slide. A little work on the grinder and a few Dremel cutoff disc later and I have a Grade 8 short collar with 5/8-18 internal thread and now securely mounted on the lathe. Time to make chips....

toolpost.jpg