Shop CX709 & CX601 - New machines unpacked and in place.

Shop

GaryE

Got the new toys uncrated, set in place, and levelled up. I spaced up both machines temporarily as the stands that come with the machines are quite low. Someone on this forum (or possibly another) said that the main handwheels should be somewhere around elbow height for comfort. Fortunately, I had a number of left over laminated beams (LVLs) from the workshop build and the house renovation. I spaced up the mill so that the x-axis handwheel is at elbow height, and the cross slide handwheel on the lathe is about 2" below elbow height. I'll start with that and see which one is most comfortable. Once I'm confident in what height is good, I'll build some heavy duty frames for under the stands with adjustable feet to make levelling easy. For now, they are levelled and pretty stable, so we'll see how that goes.

I have started to clean all the shipping schmoo from the surfaces and just temporarily lubing up with WD40. I hope to be heading to KBC tools this week to pick up some way oil and other goodies so that I can finish the commissioning process, and get both machines dialed in and ready to make chips.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Lathe & Mill-s.jpg
    Lathe & Mill-s.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 71
Got the new toys uncrated, set in place, and levelled up. I spaced up both machines temporarily as the stands that come with the machines are quite low. Someone on this forum (or possibly another) said that the main handwheels should be somewhere around elbow height for comfort. Fortunately, I had a number of left over laminated beams (LVLs) from the workshop build and the house renovation. I spaced up the mill so that the x-axis handwheel is at elbow height, and the cross slide handwheel on the lathe is about 2" below elbow height. I'll start with that and see which one is most comfortable. Once I'm confident in what height is good, I'll build some heavy duty frames for under the stands with adjustable feet to make levelling easy. For now, they are levelled and pretty stable, so we'll see how that goes.

I have started to clean all the shipping schmoo from the surfaces and just temporarily lubing up with WD40. I hope to be heading to KBC tools this week to pick up some way oil and other goodies so that I can finish the commissioning process, and get both machines dialed in and ready to make chips.

Cheers.
Please though, in the meantime if you could throw some dirt or something around on the shop floor before taking the next pictures. Sadly, we don't know how many more clean shop pictures @Susquatch can take before the next stroke sets in. :rolleyes:
Seriously though, congratulations on your new toys. ;)

GaryE

LOL. I was thinking that when I posted this picture, based on some comments by other members about their proudly messy shops. I do keep a tidy shop, but I'll try to get the machines messed up as soon as I can. :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow Gary! Congrats!

Lots of fun in the forecast! Can't wait to see some chips on the floor!

What is the idea with those wood platforms? I think I'd give up some working height before I did that. I've never seen wood bases before and can't really assess how they will affect rigidity. Wood is often magic stuff.

GaryE

Wow Gary! Congrats!

Lots of fun in the forecast! Can't wait to see some chips on the floor!

What is the idea with those wood platforms? I think I'd give up some working height before I did that. I've never seen wood bases before and can't really assess how they will affect rigidity. Wood is often magic stuff.
I mentioned in my original post that the wood bases are temporary as I had the LVLs laying around, and not having any experience, I wasn't 100% sure what height will feel good for me. Once I'm comfortable with the machines and get a better idea on what height is good, I'll weld up a couple of steel frames with some heavy duty adjustable feet so I can level the machines. That was my thought process anyway. :rolleyes: The machines seem pretty stiff with the LVLs as the base, but I won't know until I do some cutting. I'm sure they are not as stiff as a steel stand. Cheers.

wmetfab

Geeze.. when i posted my new to me lathe Lana, somebody told me I sucked!

Im very pleased for you Gary, a real nice set up, and clean and bright!

May you litter the floor with lots and lots of metal shavings

Congratulations!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Geeze.. when i posted my new to me lathe Lana, somebody told me I sucked!

Just so you know........

@GaryE sucks too, but rubbing some poor devils nose in it is usually reserved for those suck faces among us who got awesome deals on used machines. Guys who buy new don't normally get that abuse because they already got abused draining their wallets.......;). That my version anyway....... :rolleyes:

GaryE

LOL! @Susquatch, what you say is very true. :) I decided on new as I have 25 years of accumulated repair/restoration projects, plus a bunch of other things that I want/need to do in my retirement. I had thought many times over the years about getting a used lathe and mill, and putting in the work to recondition them, but that's just more projects! My lack of experience makes it a challenge to know if a used machine is a good deal or not. Since I can use theses machines to complete the other projects, I decided that new was the way to go. With the sale price, I didn't pay a ton more than used machines, and I don't have to lose sleep wondering how clapped out/abused an older machine might be. So I'm alright with being told that I suck. :D I have been buying other used items to round out the workshop, so I hopefully don't totally suck. Heading out on Wednesday to pick up a used 4' x 8' x 5/16" home built welding table. :p Cheers.

GaryE

Congrats, lots of fun to come.

Where did you get the 4 drawer tool box?
Picked that box up on sale at Canadian tire 10+ years ago. I had a look now and I don't see it listed for sale now. The drawers are a little tall for a true tool makers chest, but it worked for me until now. I was bursting at the seams so I picked up the two bottom chests at Home Depot a couple months ago. The three of them combined will work well for me for my tooling and measurement devices.

GaryE

Wow, nice! Are they in your living room? My house isn’t that clean. Even after the cleaning lady leaves.Lol
Martin
LOL! Just built the divider wall, painted everything white, and added in enough LED lights to put an operating room to shame. Looks pretty nice now, but we'll see how it looks in a couple of years once it's "broke in". ;) Having said that, I'm living in my shop right now until the renos are done on the house, so technically, the machines are in my living room as I have a little apartment set up at the other end of the room from where the machines are. :)