• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CX709/CX089

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Anyone have one of these ? im up in the air between one of these and either waiting for a decent 12x36 to go up for sale...or save a few more bucks to buy a new one, the are up for 3699 at the moment....wich i believe is steep, but with out dollar the way it is i dont see much improvement in the future

wondering if that 24" centers is a big hinderance, and if it would be worth waiting for a 12x36, the extra bed length and a quick change gear box might be nice

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I may not be the best person to ask. I've had mine for 15+ years, but don't use it much. In fact, I've never turned a thread on it. Having said this, I like it and the only complaint I have is that it throws the breaker at high speed. It's on a 15A line and routinely draws 11A, but can throw the breaker in its highest gears (which I never use, so again, no issue for me).

I use it for making lots of bushings, squaring round stock, facing shafts and plates, knurling, and prototype work on acetal. It's plenty beefy for me. I don't have a quick change toolpost on it. It didn't come with a threading dial, but they used to sell one for it as an option, which I have but never installed. I'm on the low end of the skill scale when it comes to machining, but I find it solid and maybe more than I needed. Very little slop in the cross slide and other forum members who have seen it said it feels solid.

Not sure if that helps.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I used to have that machine. It is an OK entry level lathe. A bit underpowered for it size. If oil is cold and you start it at 700 rpm it will throw motor breaker.

Also in I believe 700 rpm or next higher speed the motor is so weak that you can stop a 2" shaft by hand if it is packing say 100 grid sandpaper.

Without QCGB threading is a pain - you have to play around with gears and stuff - maybe ok if you almost never thread or in production where you thread always the same thread.

Fit an finish is very basic - costs are cut all over the place at any place.

I do not think you will miss the extra 12" of space too much - I rarely exceed on my small lathe the 20" I have there. Of course if price difference is tiny I would pay a bit extra to have longer bed - why not.

QCGB is more valuable then the 12" of space imho.

Its a basic functional lathe - certainly way, way better then any mini lathe out there. I would also take it over almost any Atlas.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I'd take Tom's advice over my own. He obviously knows the machine better than me.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looking at the CX709, it looks similar to my B2227L that i have had for about 20 years. I am currently looking to upgrade to get rid of gear changes for threading, as mentioned by @Tom Kitta and the length. As much as the 24" might sound fine, when working on longer pieces, I still find the tailstock in the way (mine is a 10x18) The travel of the tail stock center is not long enough to get it out of the way of the cross slide so I find I get jambed up between chuck and tail stock. I can usually maniupulate the cross slide to make it work but it is a pita. Just my 2 cents. If you only need short and wide, then the older version works great.

Good luck!
Cheers

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
hey thanks for all the input guys, i think i will spend the extra bucks (or play the waiting game) on a 12x36, by the sounds of it i may be disappointed in the 110v unit, especially seeing as i have never used anything smaller.....that is where my expectations of a lathe are at

Last edited: