• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CX706 or CX709?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There was a batch of 709's that were tested to have bad motors and BB was/is selling them as a 709x, for $100 more than the 706, but without warranty.
My budget started at $1000. Lol. It's been slowly climbing, but I had to cap it at $3500. Even that is more than I want to spend.
I just put a deposit on the last 709x. Picking it up today, so please don't tell me of a deal out there. ;)
I realize these are not top quality lathes, but it'll do more than I need. I'm not making precision parts.
Even the rich guys are sometimes restrained in a budget (even tho sometimes it seems like they're not). I think I could spend a bit more on machinery than I have but one of the things that I have enjoyed is having my fun knowing that I didn't exceed or push my financial limits to the extreme. Yes more expensive machinery is always nicer and or "better" but it can be rewarding also to work with whatcha have! I'm going to bet you'll have fun with your cx709 as long as you don't let someone convince you that you shouldn't.

DHHok

Picked up the machine today. Thanks to everyone that responded. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me a lot, as I know very little about lathes.

I just put a deposit on the last 709x. Picking it up today, so please don't tell me of a deal out there. ;)
If you let me know a week ago there was some smoking deals out there, you could have gotten.
You're not a very good listener are you Tom. ;):)

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This is without warranty. There was a batch of 709's that have a flaky motor and are being sold as 709x.
I bought the last one in BC.
Well I'm glad you got discount cuz the BB warranty ain't worth alot. It amazes me that a company would sell a new product but not want to stand behind it and wash their hands from it completely after the sale. I'd say it was a good buy all the same.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
DHHok - As long as it does what you need and are happy with it then all's good.
There are a few BB machines around the forum so if required help shouldn't be far away.
Did you get or need any accessories? eg 4jaw chuck, live center etc.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Just read some of your discussion about finding used machines . . .
I have been looking for a small USED milling machine for a year already.
I am in SW Ontario and everything I have seen is vastly overpriced or gets snapped up quickly.
I am now at the point that I may as well buy NEW because my space is limited.
I tried bidding on the school board auctions and before you know it there is eight people jacking the price up to 2x the original price and most of the mills were 15-20 years old ?!?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi @LenVW. Post a wanted ad in the classified. And if there is anybody in SW Ontario with a lead for LenVW please PM him.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This looks awesome.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-busin...-needs-finishing-touches/1596997032?undefined

just change the motor.

This is an unbelievable price. What the heck is mine worth if people are selling them like that?

Note that it has a 2-axis DRO too. No real mention of condition. Not even that it can be demo'd.

Six O Two

(Marco)
Picked up the machine today.

Congrats on the new lathe!

I used to own its predecessor, the ct089. I put an import QCTP on it and it was a fun little lathe. As others have mentioned, changing the gears for different threading and lead screw speeds was a bit of a pain. I went from metric to imperial often enough to make it tedious. It didn't help that the gear chart provided in the manual was wrong! Luckily I found the correct one online. Hopefully that's been fixed with the new version. Also as I recall, it was really easy to accidentally change between cross-feeding and longitudinal feeding with the lever control. I ended up drilling the apron to be able to place a pin in it on either side to prevent the lever from moving opposite the direction I needed. I'd read about the mod on a forum somewhere. That lever was blocky on the ct089 so the fix was easy and good enough. I don't know if the updated version addresses that.
DSC_4208.jpg

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
BB in Calgary has a 706 and 709 as of noon today. Man that store is getting thin for selection.......

Last edited:

DHHok

It amazes me that a company would sell a new product but not want to stand behind it and wash their hands from it completely after the sale. I'd say it was a good buy all the same.
I agree with you on this. It did surprise me that it didn't even come with a reduced warranty. I've purchased used, returned, equipment from KMS Tools and at least they give you a 30 day warranty. The lathe is brand new, so it should have come with at least a 1yr (as opposed to the 3yr). Just don't warranty the electrical, as that was disclosed as being defective.
The warranty from Craftex is pretty poor though, if you read it. All warranties I have ever seen have been "...warrantied to be free from defects in materials and workmanship...". Craftex only warranties the materials. They do not warranty the workmanship. :rolleyes:

Did you get or need any accessories? eg 4jaw chuck, live center etc.
It came with 3 jaw, 4 jaw, face plate, follow & steady rest.
More than likely, I'll pick up a live centre and QCTP. Picked up a couple cheap cutting tools from KMS, just to get started.

MrHermit

I picked up a CX709X in October of last year (my first lathe) and I thought I would share my experience so far.

Blowing fuse/speed issue same as everyone else. Nothing much to add here, run for a while stepping the speed up one notch at a time to warm up the oil and get it to start at progressively higher speeds. If anyone does come across a good replacement motor that is easy to install keep me in the loop, I would go up a little in hp but am not looking to tear the rest of the assembly to shreds with too much power... Might look into vfd as well/instead, who knows.

When I changed the oil I found that although the sight glass showed that it had an appropriate level of oil it in fact did not! The oil in the sight glass was basically just gelled and the oil level was quite a bit lower. My advice for anyone else buying a lathe is to pop that lid off and change the oil when you get the thing, pull the sight glass and give it a good clean.

My unit suffers from vibration when on the higher of the two belt combinations. I've figured out that this is being caused by the belt which has multiple splice points (thicker areas) which is exciting a natural frequency in machine assembly. It is easy to see that these points on the belt don't sit at the bottom of the V as they pass through the sheave. The vibration measures out to be a couple thou between the toolpost and head. I've avoided this belt combination for the time being while I have resolving it on my list of to-dos. Would like to change it out to a different style of belt/pulley or at least replace the existing belt soon...

For anyone else with this unit I made a quick 3D print change gear tray. You can find it on the Thingiverse website if you search CX709, I'd post a link but lemme get to 3 posts first :p.

I am thinking about getting a plate waterjet to sandwich between the lathe and the cabinets it comes with to provide more rigidity to the system. Will make a post before I have it cut in case anyone else is interested in one.

DHHok

I like the gear tray you made. Nice and easy to see the sizes. :)

Mine also had the gel in the sight glass as well as the "uneven" belt. It's probably the worst belt I have ever seen.

In regards to the cabinets, I mounted mine on wheels and connected them at the bottom (front and back) with angle iron to help make them more rigid. The angle iron is good for adding an extra shelf as well.