• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

CA-ON Cutting oil for twist drills

Ontario
Type
Supplies

IH Guy

Active Member
Where do you find good cutting oil/lube for drilling steel with a drill press? Bought two cans now from steel yard, Wurth namebrand, areosol can and it ain't Wurth a pinch of coon #$%*! It will spray for maybe 3 or 4 sprays, produces a white foam, and then nothing. Its like its plugged or something? I can shake the live'n crap out of the can, remove the nozzle, short of chucking it against the wall..... VERY frustrating. Used motor oil and hydraulic oil do basically nothing except make a mess.

Suggestions? Would like to get an oil I think that I can put in a regular old oil can to drop some on the drill?
 
I highly recommend Vipers Venom if you can find any. Depending on where you are, there might be a nearby member who can spot you some. Where are you?

If you can't get vipers Venom, my only advice is to stay away from the Green water based stuff. I fully expect an army of opinions to the contrary. It's always like that.

But my own advise is a good old fashioned sulphur oil. It stinks but it works. Tap Magic EP-Xtra is better than water based and can be had on Amazon.
 
I'm a fan of using water soluable cutting fluid (coolant) and mixing up a spray bottle/multiples for different machines. I can't stand getting smoked out when drilling holes anymore. It's also good for milling/turning. Save the expensive oils for tapping/reaming where they actually make a difference.

Something like this https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/1-122-74013 will mix up about 30 gal maybe more if you stretch the ratio. Pretty cheap compared to special cutting oils that most use way to much of per hole anyway. There are lots of other brands and types, that was just the first on the list at KBC that I found that would be suitable.
 
Shop I worked at used water soluble cutting oil for everything , drilling, milling, turning. For drilling we had squirty bottles that we filled.
 
Back
Top