• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Cutting holes to save weight

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Imagine driving a pickup down into a steep ditch at an angle then up the other side. Then add the max payload the truck is rated for. The twisting forces are huge and those frames were not up to it. I lived in a farm community where everyone overloaded their pickups. It was not Fords finest hour.
That's a really good visual. Nice description John.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
53 feet long. 1/8” where the holes were cut. It’s welded all down the top then every foot or so there’s a crossmember running from one side to the other.
So do you then insert grab hooks for straps or load binders into them? Is that the idea?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
So do you then insert grab hooks for straps or load binders into them? Is that the idea?
C2292392-A83D-413D-83C5-DBA028F69473.jpeg Part of it was to save weight. Going straight across I could just hook to the bottom flange. The problem with that was when you have to do angles. Now I can put a hook (chain or strap) every 6 inches. Also I could use two or three of the holes to create a stronger holding point. Basically it gives me versatility

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I'm assuming there are codes of practice/regulation that stipulate how many straps etc. I learned from you smart Freight Relocation Engineers about eTracks years ago. I installed them on the box bottom of my F250 and now I can tie down everything with ease. Ask someone with who does it for a living and you get the best answer :)

Chicken lights

I'm assuming there are codes of practice/regulation that stipulate how many straps etc. I learned from you smart Freight Relocation Engineers about eTracks years ago. I installed them on the box bottom of my F250 and now I can tie down everything with ease. Ask someone with who does it for a living and you get the best answer :)
It’s ridiculous. If I throw a chain straight across the trailer it’s good for 100% WLL. If I only go from one side of the trailer to a hook on a loader, same chain gets 50% WLL.

If I have a Bobcat on the deck under 10,000 pounds I can use 5/16” chain. In Canada, over 10,000 pounds, must be 3/8” chain.

If my rear axles on the trailer are spread (10 feet apart) in the USA and Ontario I can scale 40,000 pounds. In Manitoba and points west the EXACT SAME axle setup is good for 18,000 pounds (I think, I should look that up) Close the axles together and magically you are legal for (Again, I think) 37,500 out west. Same trailer same axles same tires.

Rocks? I never plan to haul rocks and never have, but there’s a subsection on how to legally secure rocks on a trailer.

Thats not even getting into Oversize nonsense

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
It’s ridiculous. If I throw a chain straight across the trailer it’s good for 100% WLL. If I only go from one side of the trailer to a hook on a loader, same chain gets 50% WLL.

If I have a Bobcat on the deck under 10,000 pounds I can use 5/16” chain. In Canada, over 10,000 pounds, must be 3/8” chain.

If my rear axles on the trailer are spread (10 feet apart) in the USA and Ontario I can scale 40,000 pounds. In Manitoba and points west the EXACT SAME axle setup is good for 18,000 pounds (I think, I should look that up) Close the axles together and magically you are legal for (Again, I think) 37,500 out west. Same trailer same axles same tires.

Rocks? I never plan to haul rocks and never have, but there’s a subsection on how to legally secure rocks on a trailer.

Thats not even getting into Oversize nonsense
Wow. I can't imagine keeping track of this stuff. You must roll your eyes at times. I hope there's an app for this stuff.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What do you mean by spread the axles? Spread them which way?

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Wow. I can't imagine keeping track of this stuff. You must roll your eyes at times. I hope there's an app for this stuff.
I wish there was. I just carry a copy of the National Securement code with me and a couple books for reference.
Oversize- some states require red flags. Some require orange. Some you can use both colours. They are supposed to (usually) be 18”x18”. Friend of a friend got a ticket because his (used) flags were 17 1/2” x 17 1/2”
That’s really when the eye rolling starts

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I wish there was. I just carry a copy of the National Securement code with me and a couple books for reference.
Oversize- some states require red flags. Some require orange. Some you can use both colours. They are supposed to (usually) be 18”x18”. Friend of a friend got a ticket because his (used) flags were 17 1/2” x 17 1/2”
That’s really when the eye rolling starts
Seeing a business opportunity out there for you developer types.....just sayin'

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Part of journey management . Need to break down the trip jurisdiction by jurisdiction, take into account road bans, permits, hours of service..... and the. You get into shipper/consignee requirements, PPE, training, hazardous goods......

There is tons of software out there for that..... they just don’t give it away [emoji3]

It’s amazing the world functions, and more amazing anyone makes money driving truck. Tough business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken lights

Part of journey management . Need to break down the trip jurisdiction by jurisdiction, take into account road bans, permits, hours of service..... and the. You get into shipper/consignee requirements, PPE, training, hazardous goods......

There is tons of software out there for that..... they just don’t give it away [emoji3]

It’s amazing the world functions, and more amazing anyone makes money driving truck. Tough business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to forget even just clothes. Loading in Northern Ontario it can be -30 yet you’re delivering to Alabama where it’s +30. Or you’re headed to Florida so a swim suit and flip flops are needed. Some toll roads in the USA are still cash or coin only.

Then there’s the language barrier, and food is different. What the heck is burgoo or gumbo. Brown toast is wheat toast. “All the way” is a combo with fries and a drink. Grits is not really food and what the heck is this white gravy sauce.

Don’t get me going on sweet tea and unsweetened tea :mad:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Not to forget even just clothes. Loading in Northern Ontario it can be -30 yet you’re delivering to Alabama where it’s +30. Or you’re headed to Florida so a swim suit and flip flops are needed. Some toll roads in the USA are still cash or coin only.

Then there’s the language barrier, and food is different. What the heck is burgoo or gumbo. Brown toast is wheat toast. “All the way” is a combo with fries and a drink. Grits is not really food and what the heck is this white gravy sauce.

Don’t get me going on sweet tea and unsweetened tea :mad:
For me one of the good things that have come out of COVID is an appreciation for front line workers and transportation workers. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't think enough about how critical their services were before. I always thought they were important, but we're all just one crisis away from a new definition of critical I guess.

Can't thank these folks enough now (as I sit here waiting for food to arrive).