• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CTIRE, Mastercraft Plasma Cutter?

GlenG

Glen
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the subject Plasma cutter? It's a dual voltage pilot arc unit that retails for ~$750

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I couldnt say for sure, but i would suspect thats just one of the 40A Chinese plasma cutters wrapped up in a Mastercraft branded case, but for twice the price. Probably find a couple reviews on youtube

DHHok

I couldnt say for sure, but i would suspect thats just one of the 40A Chinese plasma cutters wrapped up in a Mastercraft branded case, but for twice the price.
I'll second that. I don't buy anything Mastercraft anymore. It use to be decent stuff and comparable to Craftsman of days gone by. Since they introduced the "Maximum" line, the base Mastercraft has taken a serious turn for the worse. Mastercraft Maximum for the most part is ok, but only when it's on sale.

I'll second that. I don't buy anything Mastercraft anymore. It use to be decent stuff and comparable to Craftsman of days gone by. Since they introduced the "Maximum" line, the base Mastercraft has taken a serious turn for the worse. Mastercraft Maximum for the most part is ok, but only when it's on sale.
Just don't get the CT table saw! The worst piece of crap I ever did see! When I bought one a long time ago I immediately returned it. No one should be selling garbage like that IMO. I was so disgusted I've been mostly avoiding CT ever since. Most retailers today carry 2 lines, a cheap line and a slightly less cheap line, ie Mastercraft and Maximum. At Princess auto its Power Fist and Propoint.

Ever notice that if you Google "Crappy Tire" you actually get Canadian Tire!!! :D

DHHok

Most retailers today carry 2 lines, a cheap line and a slightly less cheap line, ie Mastercraft and Maximum. At Princess auto its Power Fist and Propoint.
Unfortunately, CT sold the Mastercraft brand for years, and then simple changed its name to MasterCraft Maximum and brought in a line of seriously lower quality and called it MasterCraft.
.........and I would buy the base Mastercraft a thousand times over before buying PowerFist. That is consistently the worst product ever.

DHHok

But GlenG, to address your question.....I do not have any experience with the MC plasma cutter, but at $750 I personally wouldn't do.
A good rule of thumb with CT is; if it's not on sale for at least 50% off, your paying too much.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Unfortunately, CT sold the Mastercraft brand for years, and then simple changed its name to MasterCraft Maximum and brought in a line of seriously lower quality and called it MasterCraft.
.........and I would buy the base Mastercraft a thousand times over before buying PowerFist. That is consistently the worst product ever.

I am exactly the opposite. Mostly b/c Powerfist has lifetime warranty which I actually tested and MasterCrap does not - also tested.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I walk through CT maybe 1 or 2 times a year just to see if I’m missing anything PA is my usual first go to and like Tom K said I’ve never had a problem with their service.

GlenG

Glen
Thanks for the input guys, CT house brand (Mastercraft / Maximum) is never my first choice, but Im looking for a decent dual voltage pilot arc plasma cutter and I’d prefer brick and morter in case there are issues. I have Amazon Prime, but I’m just not interested in the hassle you can sometimes get into. since my OP i came across Everlast?

Not nessasarily brick and mortar but they do have a Canadian site and 3yr warranty. Does anyone have experience with their plasma cutters?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
It looks suspiciously like my hero cut. They're probably all the same under the covers, or at least similar. Order enough, and they'll paint them whatever colour you want.

It has the s45 torch vs my ipt 60 though. Dont know enough to know which one is "better"/ The good part about crappy tire, is that if it breaks you can just take it back for exchange/refund, whereas buying off amazon/other your money is sometimes out in the breeze. Depends how much you're willing to gamble. I've been very happy with mine (from amazon), and it was MUCH cheaper than from CDN tire.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Thanks for the input guys, CT house brand (Mastercraft / Maximum) is never my first choice, but Im looking for a decent dual voltage pilot arc plasma cutter and I’d prefer brick and morter in case there are issues. I have Amazon Prime, but I’m just not interested in the hassle you can sometimes get into. since my OP i came across Everlast?

Not nessasarily brick and mortar but they do have a Canadian site and 3yr warranty. Does anyone have experience with their plasma cutters?
I have the everlast tig plasma combo. It works. 40Amp. A bit under powered I’d say. Trouble with plasma is the poor cut quality in my opinion. I actually don’t use it much. I’d rather put material in the band saw. Or use the dry cut circular saw.

GlenG

Glen
I have the everlast tig plasma combo. It works. 40Amp. A bit under powered I’d say. Trouble with plasma is the poor cut quality in my opinion. I actually don’t use it much. I’d rather put material in the band saw. Or use the dry cut circular saw.
Interesting thoughts I never considered a dry cut, but i’m looking for the “scrolling“ capability of plasma.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Maximum branded hand tools can be decent, but otherwise steer clear of any mastercraft or maximum tools that use electricity...never a good experience there.

Just go get a Hypertherm...even if you don't use it, you will still be able to sell it for 80% of what you paid.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@GlenG Did you buy one of the units discussed? I bought an Everlast welder this winter. Been liking it so far. Their warranty, iirc, says they pay shipping both directions in the first 30 days if you have issues. After that, you pay one way and they pay the other. So, moral of the story is test it lots in the first 30 days and hope for the best.

But what @SomeGuy says is pretty true too. Better resale on name brand products, usually.

GlenG

Glen
Ha,I did not I ended up spending all my money on a bottle on these
338E4F67-13EC-4963-8110-1F62C350A391.jpeg

and the Argon bottle on the right.

F7AC1779-B93A-4D05-B3B2-95B2E5483C20.jpeg

No more money for a little while, LOL.

GlenG

Glen
Update. I ended up getting a range check from PA last month when the ProPoint Procut 30 was on sale for $480. It finally came in yesterday and I tried it out quickly with pleasing results. 1/4” clean cut on roughly 1/2 range of 110v worked super.

BFCC844D-8D16-473E-95FF-0D0480CBD667.jpeg
0B5FDA49-BCDA-4B1E-9AEE-F2E40E81D21C.jpeg