• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Craftex cto89 13x24

twlcvibc

Hi there.been trying to cut 1 /2 N,c threads,i have the owners manual thread chart.the thread chart onthe gear train cover.and the download chart from busy bee.guess what they are all different gear numbers.what am i doing wrong?.....thanks for your responce,,
Tw canada,s wesr coast

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi there.been trying to cut 1 /2 N,c threads,i have the owners manual thread chart.the thread chart onthe gear train cover.and the download chart from busy bee.guess what they are all different gear numbers.what am i doing wrong?.....thanks for your responce,,
Tw canada,s wesr coast

Usually the chart on the lathe itself is correct. The manuals can get out of date because of factory changes.

In cases of doubt, it might be best to get some dykem and cut some scratch threads on some junk bar stock or pipe to find out what is what. You can even make your own thread chart that way.

A few silly suggestions (recognizing I am not familiar with your lathe).

I've seen guys get confused between feed rate and thread pitch. Feed has to be disconnected. Threading uses the half nut lever not the feedlever and they can't be used together

Make sure your 127 gear is not in the equation.

Try installing two identical gears (ie both 60 tooth) on the change gear banjo. And then do the dykem thread test.

Usually, you can read the manual preamble to see which one is correct. But, most manuals include a revision date either on the covers or in the file name. Compare that to the build date to see which is the best manual.

Seriously, the best check is the actual thread the lathe cuts using dykem. Doesn't even matter if the part is round - it will scratch the high point enough to measure it.

twlcvibc

Usually the chart on the lathe itself is correct. The manuals can get out of date because of factory changes.

In cases of doubt, it might be best to get some dykem and cut some scratch threads on some junk bar stock or pipe to find out what is what. You can even make your own thread chart that way.

A few silly suggestions (recognizing I am not familiar with your lathe).

I've seen guys get confused between feed rate and thread pitch. Feed has to be disconnected. Threading uses the half nut lever not the feedlever and they can't be used together

Make sure your 127 gear is not in the equation.

Try installing two identical gears (ie both 60 tooth) on the change gear banjo. And then do the dykem thread test.

Usually, you can read the manual preamble to see which one is correct. But, most manuals include a revision date either on the covers or in the file name. Compare that to the build date to see which is the best manual.

Seriously, the best check is the actual thread the lathe cuts using dykem. Doesn't even matter if the part is round - it will scratch the high point enough to measure it.
hi mr susquatch..thanks for your responce.after counting all the teeth on 28 gears to check see if the stamped numbers were correct.cleaning the centres and the splines enabling a nice fit.finding the drive gears were a differnt pitch,i assembled the drive train gears according to the thread chart on the gear case housing as you suggested,long story short ,,,it worked,i am still
wondering how other thread paterns will work.time will tell,regards...T.W. canada.s west coast.retired ,T.Q.MILLWRIGHT.
i have a caftex 13 x 24 CT089 lathe.purchased brand new 12 years ago .just started playing with it,wish me luck!!!!