• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Craftec Lathe And Milling Machine And Accessories C$10,000

Price is way too high for ON. At first I read it as 1000 and I said - wow that is a great deal!

Than I noticed a zero :)))

No this is not a good deal anymore. Package deals need to be lower in price than items separated. Machines by themselves are worth about $5000. There does not seem to be too much tooling with these. I do not see more than $500 in tooling shown on pictures. Since it is a package a fair price, In AB would be around $5000 CAD.

Maybe the guy has far more tooling to offer - who knows? Maybe he is just bad with pictures and does not show extra 1000s of CAD in tooling?

Price is way too high for ON. At first I read it as 1000 and I said - wow that is a great deal!

Than I noticed a zero :)))

No this is not a good deal anymore. Package deals need to be lower in price than items separated. Machines by themselves are worth about $5000. There does not seem to be too much tooling with these. I do not see more than $500 in tooling shown on pictures. Since it is a package a fair price, In AB would be around $5000 CAD.

Maybe the guy has far more tooling to offer - who knows? Maybe he is just bad with pictures and does not show extra 1000s of CAD in tooling?
Problem I see is that there is obviously a great deal of tooling in the cabinet, and without knowing if that stays or goes with, it is a real conundrum, to figure out if the price is fair, reasonable, or way into the Fantasy zone.

The stuff that comes with, may well make it a deal. Or, not.

My impression was that there was a lot of tooling that goes with and that adds up fast. It looks to me that the tooling is a little overkill for the machines. Not sure how he turned some of that stuff with a mill/drill. I think one would want to pay a visit and see what all is included before writing him off.

My impression was that there was a lot of tooling that goes with and that adds up fast. It looks to me that the tooling is a little overkill for the machines. Not sure how he turned some of that stuff with a mill/drill. I think one would want to pay a visit and see what all is included before writing him off.

Well, he did not provide pictures of any extra tooling... not sure why. Forgot? Not of much use? Old? Someone can ask him to provide pictures so we can see. As it is, the 5k price is good - based on what is shown.

The shells mills he probably got cheap and just "has".

So the machines are worth really about 4-5K maybe... I love the extra long 2 flute 3/4 or 1 endmills...

Do you recall how much grinding we had to do back in the day when using those extra long HSS endmills ? Even the 1" would leave us with a decent amount of wall taper.
When newly sharpened, Ohhh, they were a bugger to calm down and settle in, until a bit of wear was established.

Then the silver soldered carbide flutes came out... they were just as nasty with more of the added chatter until you had a decent amount of wear into them. I remember running a stone down them lightly, just to take the sharp edge off prior to using them after regrinding.

I don't miss them at all, although, you could knock a mortgage payment down quick with the overtime back in our younger days as a workin' man. Not so much these days...

Last edited:
you could knock a mortgage payment down quick with the overtime back in our younger days.

I think that's about the best compliment you are gunna get in a very long time @Aburg Rapid Prototype ! Apparently @little ol' e thinks you are a wise experienced old man! Little does little know.......

If I were you, I'd play dumb and run with it! The only real problem will be aging gracefully. When you really are 70 everyone will think you are 100!

I think that's about the best compliment you are gunna get in a very long time @Aburg Rapid Prototype ! Apparently @little ol' e thinks you are a wise experienced old man! Little does little know.......

If I were you, I'd play dumb and run with it! The only real problem will be aging gracefully. When you really are 70 everyone will think you are 100!

For sure,,, Coming from the scraper gallery! Enjoy it. You should start your very own Old School Tooling and scraping gallery forum pushing your 90 deg inserts .

Last edited:

Well, I do fit in the next to old category whenever I answer surveys that ask age group. 56-65... I have been working in the field since 1986... First shop was running duplicators, while I ran radial drills... I could tell some funny stories about that job... Hopefully, I do get to live past 75.. I took the early out in case it doesn't happen....

Well, I do fit in the next to old category whenever I answer surveys that ask age group. 56-65...

I take it all back. The older I get, the younger I seem to think everyone else is. I would have pegged you in your late 30s and VERY precocious. A huge compliment.

Now you are just another ordinary 55+ machinist...... LOL!

On the other hand I feel much less nervous about letting you use my lathe when/if you need it now! ;)

So ya, I take it all back. Sorry about that.

I have been working in the field since 1986... First shop was running duplicators

You may recall, the old school flat top Hertel square inserts from that era... They would plow through P-20 without a hic-up. Even if some bondo fell out of the wooden model while tracing lol.
Digitizing turned the clocks ahead just at the rite time.

Back