• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Cowichan Valley Vancouver Island - Craftex B2229 Combination Mill & Lathe $2200.00

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Do you have limited space and budget, live on Vancouver Island and want some machinery? This may be the deal for you. It looks clean and cared for, as does the shop. Just look at that floor, very clean. It has igaging scales and they may work too.

8463e8f2-807b-4782-bf3d-958e83497dfb

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Do you have limited space and budget, live on Vancouver Island and want some machinery? This may be the deal for you. It looks clean and cared for, as does the shop. Just look at that floor, very clean. It has igaging scales and they may work too.

8463e8f2-807b-4782-bf3d-958e83497dfb

Ok, anyone up for a short road trip? My shop buddy wants it, but he's on the road this week and foolishly took the keys to his pickup.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Trip report time! This one followed me home.
My buddy Mark has been looking for one of these for a while. And as look would have it he was out of town when this listing came up.
I had a few gracious offers to drive up and fetch it, and @YotaBota won the prize by having a schedule that intersected both mine and the seller's.
Met up on just this side of the Malahat, where I met @YotaBota for the first time in a Home Depot parking lot where I left my less-than-useful (for this) vehicle.
An hour or so later we met the seller, a friendly elderly gentleman who is into building model steam engines. Really beautiful work, though I didn't ask permission to take or post photos.
He did the ones we saw on the machine we picked up. He's not getting out of it though, having just upgraded to the CX701 lathe and CX601 mill to replace it. He already has a few mods that I'll be tackling for my CX601, as well as a nice hand-crank chain drive for the CX601 column mill.
The combination lathe/mill has a slew of handy improvements and tooling that he's made up for it including a spindle hand-crank, extension/remote belt-tensioning lever to overcome an awkward original placement, drill chucks, end mill holders, etc, that fit this machine but not his new one. I'm very happy with the price paid and the machine that price purchased.
So we pulled it apart into its three parts and got it loaded up in the back of Mike's truck using an engine hoist:
toi_8Ue3htBkhyAW8XDqmDZbnymolMVxQZK17RNkDPFmMAK7zr4GXoU6x-J7BqnDMuse2Hj8pMkaENrwVZGYnMHVovIYXTN4IzTUZBV-Fhb0_kzW0Qs1e8xDAU7v6GS78sYqxfFVj1I6NQGfETBiujFfKs3mCoSXQ8eaq1PTFSZM18zcf5_wRt5mYdpPEBUN3rAQ_ZkNxD05xjchQAESCR7vydm3rIAn5zSWL1eK9yWgd-N2OA6YFIkiIsmfXcm7JGhFpDeEFo5UvPxxRtWoFjaWpHtH3rfdhA1tVxIvmteGcyXavSvM5sKGcHBIxusEYFZmeFI8B2Twx3awyq0K5U3AqGZ53ybG2ySEBgUQwosYsi77uGJ5lvrXrITa_OAoTBk0KCPLB_2Y_4ufyVOczGJHzkmf3rMhpVN5nDNJuTtOb0TdQXco_noeExqL6P7RsaIXBug6ySNh-GvfGjdbR0ofhSwAp-lHzsbDUV7x92_F7ZNFZDB4_YpJwj9W_iptsmalYj1xeu-O2CV98j0aAJ_XEHKHQuTQxD_X5WbBufAKHLb8oRpoKfgWYY0FMzxGpBWvKvETHbkj5sRw3m2hC1yrEicGPb-ZTzvFlakNd4fQG7z4GUa1mnIaXoWa0V2415xFGHhIVGZpJyhAEulUNulmsQsCz8Ii4KQu2k9RED4tqHunAe1bqRlD4QTgNRk0EzvGbMkC9p0CPY_NkYOGxJDqWeO5glms7hi8yPO5rZF8F8WI3KRcWn3tUREHLwYE8cNyifzG9YouJCQEc21nyoxfgK_Jmb-jCok5v2-0B0exx4plxqXDH7kF9BCDkl_A0z3lZPL7SA2VRaGS26WtSRWGQoStSjxNKCcBthicEyqMWKwtRx5bI5BWmo0EuC-QsrxW6mZSf4BVjqd72aX3RWyZMwehqbA17tsSml5y5t-WEw=w1964-h2608-no

And then drove back (picking up my car on the way back...). Here she is as we play stupid games and somehow avoid winning stupid prizes - I didn't have quite enough height under my garage door for the gantry to give a clean lift and wound up needing to get the truck out from underneat while it was still *just* dragging. Moments of anxiety, but no terror. Mike is methodical mover.
1679773462214.png
And here it is, stacked back up properly, with Mike swearing at the split cotters that hold the head down. I solved the puzzle the next evening. She's now settled into her temporary home until my friend gets the space for her sorted out in his shop.
1679773709889.png
Thanks again Mike for making this possible!
Paul

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Trip report time! This one followed me home.
My buddy Mark has been looking for one of these for a while. And as look would have it he was out of town when this listing came up.
I had a few gracious offers to drive up and fetch it, and @YotaBota won the prize by having a schedule that intersected both mine and the seller's.
Met up on just this side of the Malahat, where I met @YotaBota for the first time in a Home Depot parking lot where I left my less-than-useful (for this) vehicle.
An hour or so later we met the seller, a friendly elderly gentleman who is into building model steam engines. Really beautiful work, though I didn't ask permission to take or post photos.
He did the ones we saw on the machine we picked up. He's not getting out of it though, having just upgraded to the CX701 lathe and CX601 mill to replace it. He already has a few mods that I'll be tackling for my CX601, as well as a nice hand-crank chain drive for the CX601 column mill.
The combination lathe/mill has a slew of handy improvements and tooling that he's made up for it including a spindle hand-crank, extension/remote belt-tensioning lever to overcome an awkward original placement, drill chucks, end mill holders, etc, that fit this machine but not his new one. I'm very happy with the price paid and the machine that price purchased.
So we pulled it apart into its three parts and got it loaded up in the back of Mike's truck using an engine hoist:
toi_8Ue3htBkhyAW8XDqmDZbnymolMVxQZK17RNkDPFmMAK7zr4GXoU6x-J7BqnDMuse2Hj8pMkaENrwVZGYnMHVovIYXTN4IzTUZBV-Fhb0_kzW0Qs1e8xDAU7v6GS78sYqxfFVj1I6NQGfETBiujFfKs3mCoSXQ8eaq1PTFSZM18zcf5_wRt5mYdpPEBUN3rAQ_ZkNxD05xjchQAESCR7vydm3rIAn5zSWL1eK9yWgd-N2OA6YFIkiIsmfXcm7JGhFpDeEFo5UvPxxRtWoFjaWpHtH3rfdhA1tVxIvmteGcyXavSvM5sKGcHBIxusEYFZmeFI8B2Twx3awyq0K5U3AqGZ53ybG2ySEBgUQwosYsi77uGJ5lvrXrITa_OAoTBk0KCPLB_2Y_4ufyVOczGJHzkmf3rMhpVN5nDNJuTtOb0TdQXco_noeExqL6P7RsaIXBug6ySNh-GvfGjdbR0ofhSwAp-lHzsbDUV7x92_F7ZNFZDB4_YpJwj9W_iptsmalYj1xeu-O2CV98j0aAJ_XEHKHQuTQxD_X5WbBufAKHLb8oRpoKfgWYY0FMzxGpBWvKvETHbkj5sRw3m2hC1yrEicGPb-ZTzvFlakNd4fQG7z4GUa1mnIaXoWa0V2415xFGHhIVGZpJyhAEulUNulmsQsCz8Ii4KQu2k9RED4tqHunAe1bqRlD4QTgNRk0EzvGbMkC9p0CPY_NkYOGxJDqWeO5glms7hi8yPO5rZF8F8WI3KRcWn3tUREHLwYE8cNyifzG9YouJCQEc21nyoxfgK_Jmb-jCok5v2-0B0exx4plxqXDH7kF9BCDkl_A0z3lZPL7SA2VRaGS26WtSRWGQoStSjxNKCcBthicEyqMWKwtRx5bI5BWmo0EuC-QsrxW6mZSf4BVjqd72aX3RWyZMwehqbA17tsSml5y5t-WEw=w1964-h2608-no

And then drove back (picking up my car on the way back...). Here she is as we play stupid games and somehow avoid winning stupid prizes - I didn't have quite enough height under my garage door for the gantry to give a clean lift and wound up needing to get the truck out from underneat while it was still *just* dragging. Moments of anxiety, but no terror. Mike is methodical mover.
View attachment 32754
And here it is, stacked back up properly, with Mike swearing at the split cotters that hold the head down. I solved the puzzle the next evening. She's now settled into her temporary home until my friend gets the space for her sorted out in his shop.
View attachment 32755
Thanks again Mike for making this possible!
Paul
Awesome. I'm happy you got this.

Was the gentleman who sold it named powell by any chance?