• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

couple hour old member

jbrownslms

Hi guys, just joined up a couple hours ago, I am a heavy equipment operator by profession but am an aspiring hobby machinist. I currently have a small milling machine, and I am hoping to locate a lathe soon so I can start building scale marine steam engines just to start. Its nice to finally find a site with guys that are fairly close to me I am in b.c.

Jamie

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Hey welcome to the form Jamie. Have you spent much time running your mill yet? What model is your machine?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
first a mill, then lathe, then a lot of tooling, metal, more metal, band saw, welding .... it never ends.. :>
Welcome to the forum!

jbrownslms

Hi Alex if I may or do you prefer alexander? I have spent a few hours on the dials, mostly building the what ever projects and also just making chips For practice. My mill is an old husky 6x26 knee mill. I totally rebuilt it except for the paint I kinda like the patina.

jbrownslms

Hi janger thank you for the welcome, unfortunately tooling is not what im short of I have purchased a couple of old machinists tool boxes and have ended up with enough tooling to last a life time

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I always go by Alex. It wouldn't let me use a name that short when I signed up. Alexander is my full name though so I'm not picky.

jbrownslms

Thanks Alex, it gets me by. Once I build my big shop I will probably upgrade to a bridgeport or something a little better, power feeds etc. My shop is a little crowded right now as I am restoring a car to

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Nice Mill! It's actually a large step up from what I have been using, you'll be fine, haha.

Where about in BC are you? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Glad you found the forum,

Its nice to finally find a site with guys that are fairly close to me I am in b.c.
Yeah, I was hunting for a Canadian centric forum for awhile before this site existed too. How did you find us anyways?

jbrownslms

Nice Mill! It's actually a large step up from what I have been using, you'll be fine, haha.

Where about in BC are you? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Glad you found the forum,

Yeah, I was hunting for a Canadian centric forum for awhile before this site existed too. How did you find us anyways?
I found the site on practical machinist. Im in kamloops, about 6 hours away

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I put up a reference to us on practical machinist....
@Jwest7788 Josh, I think you have a hobbymachinist . Com acct? Maybe put up something if you haven't already...

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I put up a reference to us on practical machinist....
@Jwest7788 Josh, I think you have a hobbymachinist . Com acct? Maybe put up something if you haven't already...

I often think about this, but have been weary of moving forward on it. I feel kind of at a conflict of interest or something. Maybe I'll take the dive today, haha.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Hi guys, just joined up a couple hours ago, I am a heavy equipment operator by profession but am an aspiring hobby machinist. I currently have a small milling machine, and I am hoping to locate a lathe soon so I can start building scale marine steam engines just to start. Its nice to finally find a site with guys that are fairly close to me I am in b.c.

Jamie
Welcome aboard Alex.