• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Counting my blessings

Thanksgiving must be my favourite holiday! I'm by no means a religious man but counting my blessings just seems like a psychologically beneficial thing to do. So far this year despite a lot of other challenges one of my greatest triumphs has been the acquisition of a lot of new wonderful toys. So here's the rundown! I will try to focus exclusively on second hand new to me finds.(I may have missed something, this is just off the top of my head)

Perhaps the first and most exciting of all was a Bridgeport series one mill for $1200

There was an auction #1 where I acquired a Walter dividing head, an 8 inch Rohm mill vise, and a set of large Mitutoyo micrometers
zitmicset.JPG Walter DH.png

A kijiji find of Mitutoyo inside micrometer set.
zMitmicin.JPG

Another kijiji find that included a vernier vertical height gauge $75, a Mitutoyo depth micrometer set $75, A Maru Keiki (Japanese made) bevel protractor set $100, a Starrett edge finder and a Starrett center finder both free add ins to the deal
zasstd.JPG

An auction #2 where I acquired a GS6 milling vise for $80 and 2 sets of broaches for $100
zGS6.JPG zbroachset.JPG

An auction #3 where I acquired A Kurt 6 inch D675 vise for $140

And finally a story I can't resist telling! Not second hand but a Princess Auto floor standing sand blasting cabinet brand new for free! No I didn't steal it! Ask me how it happened!

Yes happy Turkey Day everyone.
Awesome finds you have there @Canadium
How did you get a new and free sand blaster cabinet?

I was planning on getting one next time they went on sale at PA. So wouldn't you know it they went on sale a couple of weeks into my two months of daily radiation treatments. I was still mobile but not in great shape but decided to stretch the envelope and go down to PA and pick one up any way. I must have been the first person to order during the sale because they pulled a new fully loaded skid of the things out of their warehouse. I knew as soon as I saw this skid that the packing straps had dug into the top few boxes and there would be some damage to the contents. Of course they gave me a box off the top of the skid. After getting it home I eventually found the strength to open up the box inspect the contents and gradually begin the assembly. Indeed there was some damage in some parts just as predicted. Some badly bent pieces of sheet metal mostly. Given my condition at the time I was in no mood to return the item to PA and make a fuss about it. I decided to just bite the bullet and straighten the bent parts. It turned out not to be that difficult and the finished result showed no trace of the damage but I was still annoyed that they sold stuff in such a condition sale price or not.

A couple of weeks after my purchase I was shocked to receive an email from PA announcing that they were giving me a full refund for this item with no return and no questions asked! I had not said a word to them all this time about it. So I don't know if a little birdie told them something about my experience, if it was my guardian angel, or maybe some one else had the same experience and gave them an earful prompting them to check their records and give me a refund?! In any case I remain a happy PA shopper!

Sounds too much like a PA advert when I think about it but its a true story.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was planning on getting one next time they went on sale at PA. So wouldn't you know it they went on sale a couple of weeks into my two months of daily radiation treatments. I was still mobile but not in great shape but decided to stretch the envelope and go down to PA and pick one up any way. I must have been the first person to order during the sale because they pulled a new fully loaded skid of the things out of their warehouse. I knew as soon as I saw this skid that the packing straps had dug into the top few boxes and there would be some damage to the contents. Of course they gave me a box off the top of the skid. After getting it home I eventually found the strength to open up the box inspect the contents and gradually begin the assembly. Indeed there was some damage in some parts just as predicted. Some badly bent pieces of sheet metal mostly. Given my condition at the time I was in no mood to return the item to PA and make a fuss about it. I decided to just bite the bullet and straighten the bent parts. It turned out not to be that difficult and the finished result showed no trace of the damage but I was still annoyed that they sold stuff in such a condition sale price or not.

A couple of weeks after my purchase I was shocked to receive an email from PA announcing that they were giving me a full refund for this item with no return and no questions asked! I had not said a word to them all this time about it. So I don't know if a little birdie told them something about my experience, if it was my guardian angel, or maybe some one else had the same experience and gave them an earful prompting them to check their records and give me a refund?! In any case I remain a happy PA shopper!

Awesome, I'm happy for you.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've found that PA has always treated me more than fairly - to a point where they will look up the lowest price ever for an item and charge me that.

Case in point: @CalgaryPT used self retracting ratchet straps for tying down something las month. I loved their convenience. (they aren't very strong, but for light use, they're fine). Anyhow I asked one of the assistant managers if I could have it at the previous sale price - 11.99 instead of 17.99 - he looked back to the beginning of June (sale date), an said 'sure' - this was the first week of October...