• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Countersinks, what would you recommend?

Tool
If I was to only purchase a couple sizes of each 82d and 90d countersinks, suitable for aluminum and steel up to 4140 what style, brand would you recommend?

I've seen some preference towards zero flute in my travels but not sure. I have some older ones from my working days but they're toast.

I have a similar (Chinese) version of what John shows. They work pretty good and I think more forgiving in hand drill mode for general chamfering. I've quasi-resharpened them by dressing the inside (hole) edge with a round stone, but I suspect the better way is to regrind the face which is a helix so need to be set up for that. I also have an assortment of HSS multi tooth countersinks. I found the trick is low RPM & stable tool holding. If they spin too fast they can develop kind of a funky serration profile that starts to aggravate itself with progressive DOC. Once I figured that out it didn't seem to matter if it was 3,4,6 flute. You have to be a little bit more careful if slightly off axis as in hand drilling.

I have a set of these that came with my mill. The work great on mild steel and aluminum. I don’t think I’ll try them on 4140 though.
View attachment 23578
Yes I also have a cheap set of these and much prefer them to some multi flute ones I bought at Princess Auto. I also "sharpened" mine with a round diamond file as Peter described and I believe I made them a bit better.

Quinn's latest YouTube video shows using a countersink to put a chamfer on a edge of a slot (go to 9:52, although the whole video is, as usual with BlondiHacks, worth watching):

I find zero flute are the least fussy. Never really liked multi flute ones much. Single flute are okay but more sensitive to pressure than zero flute.

Has anybody tried the Accusize indexable countersink sets?

I just have a cheap (Banggood) set that work ok but have a few very dull areas from me being a bit aggressive on the feed rate. Speed is definitely a factor for the chatter.

Back