• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Correct Lubricant - Mill Drill

Can someone please tell me what or where to get locally the correct lubricant for my ways on my new mill drill? They say Mobilith heavy medium oil but I can’t find it locally in small quantities. I live near the gta…

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Can someone please tell me what or where to get locally the correct lubricant for my ways on my new mill drill? They say Mobilith heavy medium oil but I can’t find it locally in small quantities. I live near the gta…

Do you really mean "ways"? If so, why not get proper way oil?

I'd bet the only reason they specify something else is the low expectations on a small mill and their perceptions of lubricant availability.

Me, I'd do it right and be done with it.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
GTA? Just get a gallon of 20wt way oil from any industrial supplier. KBC is an easy ecommerce buy. . Way oil just means it has tackifiers in It that make it sticky so it hangs around longer. Its about the least critical application there is. Low speed, low heat, low pressure etc so don't fret that its not exactly the name the manufacturer lists. To a great extent if not 100%, the way oil brand/make machine manufactures recommend is highly dependent on who offered the best OEM deal, part of which is being listed in the BOM. If the oil is decent quality, the right viscosity and the right additives for the intended purpose I don't worry about the brand (contrary to billions in advertising dollars spent trying to change my mind).

Last edited: