Tool Copper vise jaws

Tool

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
At great risk of outing myself as a complete OCD nutjob maniac who just doesn't know when to stop (most of you know that already) ..... here's my quick change vise jaw system. Spring loaded ball detents snap into grooves on each insert. You lose some daylight, but for me (same vise as the OP's) its never been an issue.

Why would you ever need rubber vise jaws? lol, they do get used, mostly as a third hand to hold a propane torch

DSC_1013-1300x870.JPG

DSC_1026-1300x870.JPG

DSC_0797-1300x870.JPG

At great risk of outing myself as a complete OCD nutjob maniac who just doesn't know when to stop (most of you know that already) ..... here's my quick change vise jaw system. Spring loaded ball detents snap into grooves on each insert. You lose some daylight, but for me (same vise as the OP's) its never been an issue.

Why would you ever need rubber vise jaws? lol, they do get used, mostly as a third hand to hold a propane torch

View attachment 47178

View attachment 47179

View attachment 47180
..... with all of these awesome tools and gadgets that you are always making, how the hell do you find time to get anything done?:rolleyes: Very cool, I will add it my list of things I do after my 110th birthday, too busy pissing away my time before then...

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
lol, thanks, but you're not seeing it real time, did those in 2008.

As for getting anything done, shhh, the wife might hear. We have four kids so there was an era when an hour to two in the shop was a real treat. Now they are all off doing their thing and outside of work, my time is my own..... if only I still had the same vim and vigor!

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I keep a copper bar 1/4 x 2"x12" on my welding table. It is an awesome tool when filling holes, and it needs to be at least 1/4" thick to dissipate heat and remain unmarked when the arc is on it. I tried 1/8" copper and it will pit easily.
Great tip, I had a 1/4" by 2" by 18" length for the longest time, it's 5" shorter now that I made one of the jaws with it, will keep a reasonably long piece for future fill the hole type welds.

Reminds me of a visit to the welding shop some 40 years ago, I brought two pieces of metal one steel, the other aluminum I figured the welder would have some exotic filler rod that would allow him to weld the two together, he explained I can't weld those two together anymore than if one of them was made of wood.