• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Coolant for my mill?

Tips/Techniques

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
I'm not familiar with AliExpress but I agree with what ^^^^^^Ryan and Degen are saying. Carbide is the way to go in most cases.
Not sure what % cobalt is in AliExpress HSS stuff but if you could give us the size endmills you are currently using and toasting we can give you a good alternative in carbide which will save you money. In time spent alone your saving with carbide, never mind the frustration your dealing with what your destroying the cutters on.
Are you in Ontario by chance Paul?

Eric

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks Craig.
No sarcasm felt here. However, stupid on my part since below his post it does say Victoria BC, missed that 1.
I'm slow lol, just learning my way around the forum here.

No worries. Every single one of us has made that trip. Many of us are still learning new tricks. Any time you want to know, just ask. Somebody will know and chime in.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Are you in Ontario by chance Paul?
No, I'm on Vancouver Island.

That said, I go away hunting for a week, and I come back to all this!

The insulation guy managed to not finish my shop while I was away, which vexes me - I won't be able to move all the equipment back to where I can use it this weekend.

Paul

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
"Hunting for a week".....well, it wasnt a total loss of time!!

Buddy of mine & I made very inexpensive coolant suppliers to our mill operations....Use a small # drill to drill out the pressure stopper on a mustard squeeze bottle, easily directs a very small stream of fluid to the exact spot we need it

I bought my bride some EXPENSIVE virgin olive oil. She was sooooo impressed! What she never noticed was the big hairy guy going through the recycle for the olive oil container when it was empty. It was perfect for putting a little cutting oil on a part in the lathe. Now that I have a mill, I think she needs more extra virgin olive oil.....

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Lenox Band-Ade in various glass bottles adapted with trigger sprayers. I hate plastic bottles. Maple syrup because I’m Canadian, middle one was the first design but it tends to tip over, right-hand one is a triangular heavy glass bottle from a fru-fru trendy cooking goods shop. Doesn’t fall over or roll around.

05E4FF1D-7217-48E9-9712-E5D4054C9AB2.jpeg

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Those look like quick salad dressing concoctions that my wife puts out on the table during big gatherings. ( Pre-Covid of course) Just don't let her clean up the shop, then, get them mixed up for the shop Christmas party. Probably be worse than Covid without a mask and filter on it.
We have to thank WHIMIS for keeping us safe on those sort of things these days.

I certainly do like Maple Syrup and some good homemade balsamic vinaigrette thou, pass it down please.

Last edited: