• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Converted 4 x 6 bandsaw for vertical use only

Tmate

I haven't used my 35 year old 4 x 6 bandsaw since I got my Jet 7 x 12. After much thought, I decided that rather than let it sit, I would convert it to vertical use only. It seems that no-one makes a hobby sized vertical metal cutting saw. Of course there are a few older Powermatic Model 143s around, but they still sell for big bucks, and are too heavy to move into my basement shop.

Most, if not all of the hobby sized wood cutting bandsaws run way to fast, and lack the rigidity needed for satisfactorily cutting steel. The little 4 x 6 horizontal/vertical saws that are seen everywhere are made of heavy cast iron, and geared properly for cutting metal. They are inconvenient to use in the upright position, as it is necessary to straddle or sit on the base. The stamped sheetmetal table is useless, as well. The angled guides needed for cut-off work severely limit the capacity for cutting steel plate.

I made adaptors to take the twist out of the blade guides, which provides slightly over 5" of throat depth. The 1/3 hp motor that came with the saw was replaced by a 3/4 hp Baldor. The stock pulleys and belt works fine with the new set-up. The table support pulls forward to change blades., etc. The 3/4" plywood cover keeps the chips off the motor, and shields the pulleys and belt. A new Lenox bi-metal blade was installed, which seems almost indestructible.

IMG_4769.JPG IMG_4770.JPG IMG_4771.JPG IMG_4772.JPG IMG_4773.JPG

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's a really good mod. Now with your nice square table you could even rig up a fence or a sliding carriage.