• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Conversion of . STL / .SLDPRT / .IGS - to traditional "Plans"

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have access to GrabCad but your direct link didn't connect to the part itself. First option might be to reach out to the originator & ask a favor to send a PDF drawing. You may need to be a subscriber but don't think sign-up costs anything. If its an oldie part or some more obscure format, it might not be so straightforward.

There are specialized freebie 'viewer' programs from the big 3D Cad vendors. They are meant for say machine shops who don't have those cad programs but need to accept (limited, modified pseudo) part files from different sources in order to view them for cost estimates & basic dimensions/mass etc. Possibly they have print capability?

I'd would be surprised if there is a simple 1-click utility type solution. From my experience, even having the part with Cad program of choice, you still need to spec things to create 'drawings' (the hardcopy 2d drafting print equivalent): Scale, View selections (front/back/rear...), Dimensions, X-secs, Paper format... Maybe there are some freebie 3D programs available (is Google Sketchup still free?) that might suffice for something like this. There has been a lot of chatter lately about about Fusion 360. A tool like that would not only give you this occcassional import/print capability, but you could be designing your own 3D parts, export to Cam etc. if that's of interest one day
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/desig...w-much-will-fusion-360-cost-quot/ba-p/4477453

ps - you probably know this already but just in case - I've also seen items on sites like GrabCad which are very cool but were created from [sub-d/mesh/facet] type modeller's. When it comes to making parts, creating drawing, exporting to Cam... those are a very different 3d methodology & format than solid models from like Inventor/SolidEdge/Solidworks/Rhino/Nurbs based.. If its .igs I'm going to guess you are good to go.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Thanks @PeterT

I've been meaning to pickup a software like fusion360, but with a lack of any cnc tools or even a 3D printer, it's been tough to set aside the time!

Reaching out May be a good solution!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
ok this time when the link presented me with the login screen, I entered my own info. It landed on the 7,62mm Muzzle Brake (Compensator). Is that the model of interest?
I went to the files tab section & downloaded pdf. It appears in this case dimensioned drawings available (sample screen grab). Is that what you are after, or was it more of a general question of any arbitrary part?

Attachments

• 9-19-2015 0000.jpg
    9-19-2015 0000.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 8

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Oh... Actually yeah, that's what I was looking for.

Funny I logged in and downloaded everything. In hindsight I see this PDF in my downloads...

Well then. Thanks @PeterT , can't believe missed this..